Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am days behind but: The white intro in the '90s with the poorly-matted in folks has looked cheap to me since even back then when I was little; as @Darn said, GH and OLTL (and even The City or Port Charles) had that beat.

I didn't realize it was so unpopular but I've always loved the red opening. It screamed "event" with the thunderous musical arrangement, the use of cast names (unheard of back then, and redolent of Hollywood prestige) and production value. It all screams that Y&R was the number one soap and untouchable. Though I agree the old sketches were beautiful.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I thought she was awful too. I had forgotten how bad she was. I was never a fan of Flo or the actress. It was nice they introduce her so we knew why Nina was so missed up. But after that I had no use for the character.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

2010 interview with Peter Bergman.

Michael Logan TV Guide.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100429175824/http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/soaps/jack-solves-yrs-double-identity-crisis-4824.html

This is an old interview, but it just happens to mention two episodes being rebroadcast in May 2020

They talk about Jack figuring out that Emily is really Patty (May 3, 2010) and then PB mentions the epi being rebroadcast this week (May 4, 2010) - that Jack confronts Patty and she denies it, so he backs off and puts a plan in motion to expose her.  (and we know that's the cat).

The interview discusses plastic surgery plots on Y&R, and PB talks about David Kimble falling into the trash compactor in 1991.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but if Michael Corbett were to return to soaps, I hope it would be to play a character who wasn't psychotic or an out-and-out bastard.

Edited by Khan

• Members

When I started watching the show the boards were full of people complaining about the red opening. That was one change that absolutely pulled the show into the new millennium, the white opening just didn't cut it. It looked cheap and didn't suit a show with such high production values.

• Members

What makes the red satin and sax opening so special to this day is that it completely broke tradition, and every other version of Y&R's titles has been a modernized take on the original with none of its timeless elegance and beauty. Sure, we got some very memorable campy shots of cast members preening over the years, but nothing can touch Sandy Dvore's charcoal sketches that captured the depth and the essence of actors and their characters in the way a great artist can do. Y&R could have stuck to the original arrangement of Nadia's Theme  (with that gorgeous sonorous cello) and charcoals forever. Imagine how special it would have been to witness forty-some years of drawings of Katherine, Victor, Nikki, et al, a visual history. But switching out flat white for billowing crimson, ditching strings, adding the actors' names (Bill Bell's response to the squish credits), the 1999 opening titles struck out on their own and I highly doubt the show will ever again think outside the box.

• Members

The visuals of the 1999 opening were great. It’s just that if you’re going to replace something as iconic as the original orchestral Nadia’s Theme, it had better be amazing, and that sax theme was meh and forgettable IMO. It’s telling that even as production ditched almost everything related to classic Y&R, they knew to go back to (and stick with) the original theme.