Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hold up. So Pfizer is an American multinational company and they are giving the vaccine free to all Americans? Or do they mean the US government is making it free to all Americans? The CNN article wasn't clear on that point. 

Why isn't it free to everyone? I'm not saying Pfizer should give it away, but rich nations have to come together and make sure everyone can get this vaccine for free. Not just for moral reasons, but practical ones too.  I have a feeling we are going to regret not making the flu vaccine free this year, soon enough. If I didn't have insurance it would have cost me over $160 for a family of 4 this year.

While I'm not usually a fan of big Pharma, I have to admit this is quite an achievement.  The devil is in the details and it seems they don't know how long the immunity will last, but still, I give them credit for getting $hit done.

Then of course we have to face the hurdle of all the anti vax people out there.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Ali Velshi just announced on MSNBC that the US smashed another one day record of 144K+ cases. In related news, here in Ohio my mother plans to phone my brother in Columbus and tell him not to drive up for Thanksgiving. What are the odds that we'll have another lockdown by Christmas? I hate to be a pessimist, but I think it's inevitable.

• Members

In news closer to home, the vicar (pastor in training - and whose wife also happens to be pregnant) at my church has come down with symptoms that sound suspiciously like covid. My dad is an elder but hasn't gone to the meetings lately because he is disgusted at the pastors' attitude towards masks and distancing. They don't follow the Ohio state safety protocols. I'm one of only a very few who wears a mask the entire time. Most of the congregation takes their masks off when they come in!! 

The pastors and vicar even serve Communion wine and wafers maskless. They hold the receptacles out - and happen to be breathing on them! I am stunned at how these otherwise intelligent, educated and kind people can be so irresponsible. 

I'll keep reporting on the situation as time goes on. @marceline and @dragonflies, have you heard anything from Governor DeWine about churches (I am usually at work when his press conferences air)?