Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Suffering from COVID-19 science overload? A team at the University of Washington (Seattle) wades through the deluge of information, so you don’t have to."

Article explaining this:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/suffering-from-covid-19-science-overload-this-uw-team-wades-through-the-deluge-so-you-dont-have-to/

Link to the "COVID-19 Literature Situation Report"

https://depts.washington.edu/pandemicalliance/category/covid-19-literature-situation-report/

• Members

Thanks. Seth Simons is a weirdo in a lot of ways and he has a weird personal hostility toward Lorne Michaels, but he has some points about the industry.

Pretty stupid. When I watched last night I noticed there were too many people and they were too close together. I can't see that being allowed again next week. I just hope no one gets sick.

• Members

The UK had a major balls up on the weekend when it was revealed that they had missed over 16000 cases in their reported over the course of the previous week. This was because the reporting was happening via Excel spreadsheets

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I saw that!  The article said some of the data was in an older form of Excel file format.
It used a file name ending in .xls

Modern spreadsheets have files names ending in .xlsx

Something wasn't compatible ...  or it didn't get carried over, or added in or something, because of that.

.xls is from Microsoft Office versions released 1997-2003!

Either they were actually using an ancient MS Office program,

or someone was using modern MS Office but accidentally saved the spreadsheet in the older format. (You can easily do that if you select that option).

Somebody just wasn't paying attention.

Ack though, this makes me think.

I worked for years as a data entry clerk.  I cannot imagine the strain the workers are under with seven or eight months of daily numbers to enter from each city or region.  These data entry clerks are certainly essential workers.  And they're probably working from home.  (How much are they paid? I don't know.)  The data is likely automatically fed from cities to a central location via an online connection.  But somebody has to input the data at the origin point, and somebody in the centralized department somewhere has to organize the data.

Edited by janea4old