Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yesterday the German government has decided to impose even stricter rules for cities and regions with more than 50 new infections per 100.000 citizens during the last 7 days. For example, all restaurants and bars have to close at 11 pm, and once again, you can only meet a limited number of people at a time.

There's been a heated debate about the so-called "Beherbergungsverbot" (which means something like accommodation ban) which some federal states introduced last week. This ban applies in half of our federal states (Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria,  Brandenburg, Lower Saxony, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Saarland, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, and Schleswig-Holstein). This means that people from a coronavirus hotspot are not allowed to spend the night (i.e. staying in a hotel) in a different federal state. For example, since the whole city of Berlin (which is also a state on its own) is a hotspot, people from Berlin cannot book a holiday in the neighboring state of Brandenburg. You can bypass this rule if you have a negative test result which must not be older than 48 hours. However, this ban also doesn't come into force if you stay with friends or relatives. You can also go on a shopping trip to a different state as long as you don't stay overnight. It doesn't make much sense.

Meanwhile, this ad from the tourism campaign "Visit Berlin" has gone viral.

The caption reads: "Up yours to those who don't wear a mask -- we obey the corona rules. #berlinagainstcorona".

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/berlin-coronavirus-ad-finger/index.html

Please register in order to view this content

Almost all European countries are completely or at least partially considered as corona risk areas by the German government. You are strongly advised not to travel to these places. If you do so nevertheless, you have to take a test once you return and have to self-quarantine until you have received a negative result. With a positive result, you have to stay in quarantine for 14 days (as has been the case since March).

The only countries that are completely regarded as "safe" are:

• Cyprus
  • Greece
  • Finland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Malta
  • Poland
  • Sweden
  • Norway

There are partial risk areas in Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, France, Hungary, Ireland, Lithuania, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (mostly the capital cities and their surrounding areas). Countries that are regarded as complete risk areas are Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Georgia, Iceland, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Ukraine.

In all of our neighboring countries, the situation is worsening by the day:

• The Netherlands have imposed even stricter rules: Restaurants and bars will be closed for 4 weeks, alcohol must not be sold after 8 pm, households can only invite 3 visitors per day, use of public transport is only allowed if really necessary, and you have to wear a face mask in every public space. Apparently, the health system in the major cities is close to collapsing
  • France has enforced a ban on going out during nighttime in all major cities.
  • Czech Republic, which only has one-tenth of our population, has had higher numbers of new infections than us for the last couple of days.
  • In Denmark, Copenhagen and its surrounding area is considered a hotspot.
  • Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Poland and Belgium are suffering as well.

• Members

Prayers to you and your mom @Taoboi ! Vitamin D, Vitamin C and ZINC is also being recommended by doctors here. Boost the immune system. Paracetamol to temper fever and migraines.

Here in London, they are about to introduce Tier 2 restrictions (avoid public transport, no mixing with other households indoors) on Saturday. And last night, President Macron of France introduced a 9pm-6am curfew in major city hotspots. 

Ideas being discussed are of a possible 'circuit-breaker' lockdown -- a short, sharp, 2-week nationwide lockdown à la end-March.

Edited by Cat

• Members

Sadly, Dramatist, this is all happening during another of my long busy work weeks. But doing the best I can to not freak out.

Please register in order to view this content

And thank you, Cat. I mentioned what you said to my mother earlier today. She was feeling a little bit better earlier. It is appreciated. 

My neighbor just mentioned this to me earlier. 

Wow.