The Talk: Discussion Thread

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I watched that show! It was called The Other Half and ran from 2001-03. Dick Clark, Danny Bonaduce and Mario Lopez hosted, as did Dr. Jan Adams at the outset (who years later would perform plastic surgery on Kanye's mom - you all know what happened there) until he was replaced by Dorian Gregory of Charmed.

• Members

I truly don't understand why this is still around. They can never get the cast right, it's had endless behind the scenes drama, the co-hosts are expensive and ratings have been declining for years. I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see them try a soap again. You can make it financially viable by filming in Atlanta and soaps are reliable fall back entertainment. Of course in reality they'd just replace it with another generic talk show or game show.

• Members

On Deadline.com I saw that ABC has renewed all its prime time game shows with the exception of the Disney-owned Millionaire and Fremantle's The Match Game.  I would not be shocked in the coming weeks if CBS  announces that The Talk will be replaced by a daytime version of The Match Game. Fremantle already produces Price is Right and Lets Make a Deal. They already have the set built for Match Game, but I'm not sure they could keep Alec Baldwin as host of a 5-day a week game show.  

• Members

It was a whole mess. Performers were caught in the middle- loyal to Cornelius for giving them a platform on television, which very few black artists, particularly soul artists had, but also afraid to turn down Clark for fear they might not get a chance to play to a "mainstream" audience on American Bandstand. Cornelius actually asked Jesse Jackson for help, because with Clark's connections, he feared Soul Unlimited would poach artists and ratings from Soul Train. Despite its name, Soul Unlimited only aired twice a month, I think (that's less than Winter's Wednesdays!). I don't remember what happened exactly, but Soul Unlimited indeed had a limit, as the show was eventually pulled off the air.

• 3 weeks later...