The Talk: Discussion Thread

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just happened to tune in today. What’s with the set design?! The panel was facing the live studio audience while interviewing Angela Bassett, who was coming in from a remote location, but she was on a huge screen that came down and completely obscured the studio audience. I’m assuming the screen was double-sided so the audience could see Angela, but it was just odd.

Edited by Faulkner

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Is Morales going to be the Meredith Vieira of The Talk? In other words, is this show seeking to be more like The View and engage in actual news items?

From what I can remember hearing in this thread, some people liked the fact, that it didn't engage with "heavy" news stories, mostly lighter fare. If the show is hiring someone from a news background, this may be a signal that they are willing to go in another direction. Just a thought, as I don't watch this show.

• Members

@Soapsuds, @DramatistDreamer I don't know if you both saw her on Access, but her chatter was painful.  She may be a good news reader, but she has very little charisma to be able to articulate her opinions.  Which makes her a good Julie Chen replacement, but she is not someone who I could ever see someone saying, "I wonder what Natalie Morales has to say about this?..." 

As for why she would do it, the obvious answer is cash.  However, ever since she moved to the west coast she has kept a low profile in the news department.  She can't do celebrity profiles, because she doesn't have those skills.  So, unless they were actually keeping her around because of the rumored Matt Lauer issues that NBC didn't want to see come to light, there wasn't much of a future for her in the news department.  

• Members

You can go even further back to make a case of bad karma manifesting when Holly and Leah got the heave-ho from the show.

It was always going to be difficult building a foundation on the graveyard of a long-running soap but to do it with such lack of goodwill really didn't help matters.