Best US Soap Scenes

• Members

I don't know how to post the video like people are doing above...but if someone would please post "Maureen knows" with the confrontation with Lillian from Guiding Light, and also the ones between Vanessa and Dinah (when played by Wendy Moniz) - the confrontation with Dinah and Vanessa where she lies and says she could have Matt any time she wants, Vanessa slaps her. 

The one of Maureen and Lillian with young Michelle (then played by Rachel Miner who was terrific, understated, natural). 

Edited by Fevuh

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some of my favourite scenes from Y&R. One thing Y&R used to mostly get right was the background music.

Joshua Lander's ex-wife shoots Niki (those scenes were chilling)

Tricia kills Ryan (Sabryn Genet was brilliant actually in the descent into madness up to that final scene when she was carried away to a mental institution. If we had a stronger actress playing Victoria, and a better writing team, I would have definitely have Tricia be released and try to re-establish herself)

Nikki vs. Diane at the Jabot building (Alex Donnelly was amazing. Maura West was horribly miscast and brought nothing new to the role)

Nina pulls a gun on Ryan, but then turns it on herself

Heather Tom's final scene on Y&R

Joshua Morrow final goodbye scenes to Cassie

Hillary finds out she's dying

Edited by StepBack

• Members

That was 1996, I believe, after Erica fell from a scaffolding during a shoot and became addicted to painkillers. (Michael Sabatino, the guy looking sheepish in the crowd, played her doctor/dealer/lover Jonathan Kinder.) She was high as a kite while giving that speech, which is why she was having those paranoid delusions.

I LOVED that speech. Can you imagine how many memes that would have produced if it happened 20 years later?

• Members

That’s always the scene I send when people say Susan can’t act. That was a scene with a lot of shifts and nuances that had to be hit just right to work, and she handled it superbly. 

I mean, of course, seen with the scenes with Bev McKinsey as Alex on GL, it pales in comparison, but who was as brilliant as Bev? Not many. She was a master. I watched it again and got emotional, especially when she was talking to Henry.

• Members

This is more than one scene, but it's the bulk of a 1975 episode that encapsulates what was best about Another World in the 1970s. This is the fallout from Iris's first major plot to break up Mac and Rachel, only six months after their wedding. It's writer Harding Lemay and actors McKinsey, Watson, and Wyndham at their best, with wonderful support from Jacqueline Brookes (Beatrice), Dolph Sweet (Gil) and the always dependable Constance Ford (Ada).

Yes, it's recorded weirdly (explained in the youtube comments), but it's still effective.

Edited by BuckyB12

• Members

That scene with Maureen on GL.  That whole story and end for her character.  I know many have commented on what a mistake it was to kill her off in this way, and of course I agree.

What I see is an actress and a character that deserved better.  In every scene I have watched over the years (I didn’t watch GL back then, so thanks YouTube!), she is just a wonderful actress and brings a lot to the show and her scenes.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

As much as they've ruined Kristen in later years, I still am mesmerized watching this. Of course, this won her the emmy that year, and deservedly so. We don't get many moments like this anymore on any show.

ETA: This also reminds me what a lousy choice it was to recast the role this last go-around. SH doesn't hold a candle to ED.

Thank you for the Alex/Roger scenes. Beverlee McKinsey was in an entirely different league. Amazing stuff!

Edited by beebs

• Members

I thought the chaos of Abby shooting Roy (on GL) after the judge dismissed the prosecution’s case against him was really memorable and well-orchestrated (starts at 1:25). 

I wish the full scene of this were available, but Dru/Carmen in the break room had me CACKLING.

Edited by Faulkner