Best US Soap Scenes

• Members

Lol yeah. It was almost like he’d been hit by a bomb. But that swirling camera at the start was super cool. I loved that first year of B&E, with the Annie stuff, early Pharley, and Rick/Abby, but damn if they didn’t go off the rails. They brought me back to the show and then just about destroyed it within a year.

Meanwhile, if you want to get good and depressed:

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From what I recall.. the show had a nice ratings bump that week of about a .3 or .4.   I miss the days when soap ratings would get a nice boost on weeks when stories would climax, etc.

If we're talking about on screen chemistry... you can see the chemistry between D. Hall and Eileen Davidson.  Those two would hit it out of the park anytime they acted opposite of one another.  It was nice to see D. Hall being able to act without having to carry an on screen scene partner (Drake H. anyone).

Stacy H made a much better Susan than Eileen did.  In a perfect world, Stacy H can play Susan.. and Eileen can play Kristen (win win in my book :))

Below is my favorite scene.. when Lorna is announced as Felicia's daughter to the town of Bay City.  We had Donna/Iris/Rachel as the Greek Chorus... while Ryan/Lorna.. and especially Paulina/Lorna had nice mini scenes.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

Agree.  True, B&E couldn't hold a metaphorical candle to the Dobsons, to Doug Marland, to Pam Long or to Nancy Curlee.  However, their stuff during that first year was entertaining (for the most part -- like I said, they had their issues); and it was probably the last time I looked forward to watching GL everyday.

• Members

@Melroser for posting clips of Felicia's intervention. I feel like they are numerous clips from that story would exemplify why US soaps used to be good. The scene where Lorna finds bottles all throughout Felicia's apartment is a good one. 

I've always said that if actor wants to study how to play a drunk, Linda Dano's performance throughout this story should be IT. No one on soaps played a drunk as good as Linda did. 

I think the scene when Iris learned Mac died is one of the powerful scenes in soap history too. 

• Members

I also couldn’t find the DAYS scenes with Gina/Hope and Tom’s puzzle box, where the family learned definitely that she was Hope.  I really miss hearing Alice say her family member’s names, Tom, Jennifer, Hope.  She had a certain inflection for each one.

That OLTL clip really brings back a bad time on the show for me as a viewer.  Dorian killing that baby was rough.

As much as I hate the Rappaports, I did enjoy Lindsay when she was on the conniving side.  Seeing Sam again though- oof.

Also- the scene looks great, but man did JFP over produce that.  The music, the lighting, all the tricks to make it great.  Something JFP forgot about after GL- if the writing is strong, and the performances are good, your production doesn’t need to do all that to convey what you want.

• Members

I remember that. They cranked up the Peter Gabriel (from his score for The Last Temptation of Christ) over that whole sequence to give it weight. It was well produced and the actors did great, but the story was bad.

• Members

Many great, memorable moments occurred during the legendary Alice/Steven/Rachel triangle.

The scene which starts at 21.07 is a standout. It probably won't be as effective, taken on its own and out of context, but after watching Rachel wreak havoc in Bay City for YEARS, this particular episode made my head explode. 

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

These scenes would never be on a best of list, but they meant a great deal to me - they go right to the gut, as Douglass Watson, in one of his final performances, is astonishingly good. Carmen Duncan also does well, especially when you remember she is playing out 15 years of backstory when she had only been in the role for about 6 months.

One of the all time best ever soap performances here, from Christine Tudor. I sat riveted to these scenes 24 years ago. I'm just sorry that the full material is not available online. Some of the lines in these clips ("I took the armor off my heart...and I let hope come in" "I CAN'T BEAR TO SEE YOUR PAIN, STACEY!!!") are in my head pretty much always

Edited by DRW50