Sign in to follow this  
dragonflies

"Designing Women" reboot in the works

I would love to see a reboot of the show. Hopefully Delta Burke can return and continue on the Sugarbaker Design firm if they play that Julia passed away. Then the children of the Julia, Charlene and Mary-Jo can run the store with her.

This won't work. The other remaining cast members are talented in their own right, but Carter being gone makes it's impossible to duplicate the interactions that made the show funny. Julia responding to Suzanne saying something ridiculous was a highlight itself. Even Taylor being gone makes it not workable because of Anthony and Suzanne's interactions being so funny.

16 hours ago, ChitHappens said:

For Khan:

Welp.  It's in the universe.  It's only a matter of time before this too unleashed upon the world.

Thanks a lot, Mark-Paul. :(

15 hours ago, dragonflies said:

Now I wouldn't mind something with SBTB IF the original cast is involved. Maybe something with Zack and Kelly's son getting in deep doo doo like Zack always did or something lol

But you know the writing and acting would be just as atrocious as it had been before (IMO).

14 hours ago, ReddFoxx said:

This won't work. The other remaining cast members are talented in their own right, but Carter being gone makes it's impossible to duplicate the interactions that made the show funny. Julia responding to Suzanne saying something ridiculous was a highlight itself. Even Taylor being gone makes it not workable because of Anthony and Suzanne's interactions being so funny.

ICAM.  I'd be happier to see Linda Bloodworth-Thomason create a new series about a lot of the issues that are challenging this country today.  Even if you didn't always agree with her politically, IMO, you certainly couldn't deny how forcefully she could present her opinions through her characters.

Which would mean that -- if it were true -- Annie, Delta, and Jean would be reprising their roles -- again, if it were true (and, of course, if they were contacted) -- even though Dixie, Meshach, Alice Ghostley and Jan Hooks have all passed away.

Unless I still don't understand the difference between "reboot" and "revival."

BUT...yeah...the original series' cast would not work w/o Dixie, for sure.  Linda Bloodworth-Thomason would be better off casting new actors to fill those roles, or creating brand new characters to work under the DW banner.

I will say this much: we are long overdue for another DW/"Golden Girls"-type series that's heavily female-centric; and we are REALLY long overdue for another series from Bloodworth-Thomason that lets her rip on the current state of affairs.  If Murphy Brown can return, so can LBH's p.o.v.

Edited by Khan

Annie Potts said as much:

“I would love that,” Annie Potts tells EW. “I don’t know when I’d find the time for it, but I think that they could use a show like Designing Women — feisty smart women that didn’t take any B.S. from anybody.” [...]

“Every Monday night was a MeToo moment for us, and we were talking about it; we were very political,” says Potts, who currently stars on CBS’ The Big Bang Theory spin-off Young Sheldon. “I’m sad that there’s not such a strong voice, I don’t think, in any singular show. Nobody is doing what we did then. So yeah, if [creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason] wanted to write six episodes and do it in my hiatus, I would be there in a minute.”

I never ever want to hear a fictional character utter the words that Julia Sugarbaker has passed away.