DAYS: December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've known and adored Maggie since 1974, and no amount of cringe-worthy writing will change that. With soaps being so poorly scripted for decades, I have learned to develop selective amnesia, and simply forget about all the harmful and stupid storyline decisions inflicted upon my favorite characters by TPTB. I hate the incompetent hacks running the soaps, but nothing they do will affect the "real" Maggie (or Julie or Doug).

Please register in order to view this content

In decades past, I ALWAYS made a point of racing home to catch my favorite soaps; they were that good. These days, however, you are right: being "not atrocious, but passable" is the best we can hope for.

• Members

Ditto. When I see Maggie, I see the woman I first "met" 40 years ago -- beautiful, honest and heartbreakingly vulnerable. That character has been done much disservice by writers over the years, but Suzanne Rogers is still here, still giving it her all, and I am always glad to see her. Same with Doug and Julie. It's difficult for newer viewers to understand how spectacular these characters were in their heyday and why longtime fans have such affection and goodwill for them -- but trust me, our devotion is justified. I realize that does nothing for people who only know the Maggie of today, however. 

• Members

Right. In the 1980s, there were comments from newer GENERAL HOSPITAL viewers who couldn't understand why veteran audience members wanted to see more of characters like Jessie Brewer. The newbies preferred to see the teenybopper idols of the day, and decried the idea of having "old people" crammed down their throats. They announced that characters like Jessie were totally irrelevant and if she disappeared, "nobody would miss her because she doesn't mean anything." 

HA!

Having never seen Jessie Brewer or Maggie Horton or Ellen Stewart or Meta Bauer in their heyday, their appeal may be a mystery to new audience members, but longtime viewers witnessed these characters' contributions to the soaps first-hand, and know how valuable they once were to their shows, and could be again, with decent, perceptive writing.

I will make a point of tuning into GH when Denise Alexander makes an appearance this Christmas. But the return of Steve Burton? ((Yawn))

• Members

I can ignore certain things but I honestly can't stand Maggie. I adore Suzanne Rogers but Maggie Kiriakis will never work for me. I miss Maggie Horton. Maggie's become an annoying shrew a lot of the times. We got five seconds with Lucas and no followup. We also didn't see anything with Kate and Lucas. So many things don't get followed up on like they once did.

I was devastated when Maggie was killed in 2004. Now I wouldn't miss the character at all (but I'd rather have her get better writing and Suzanne play her differently). Egg-Babies nearly killed this character. And I honestly didn't mind Victor and Maggie initially. I was all for it. But there's no drama. She looks the other way and remains his dutiful wife. I just don't see someone like Maggie, vibrant and full of life, with someone so miserable and nasty like Victor. As much as I love grumpy Victor and his one-liners, but he's become so toxic to me. I want better for both of them.

I know some newer viewers didn't take to Julie because of how she was written as a nagging harpy shrew against "poor wittle Gabi" but I will forever be on team Julie.

It's understandable new viewers don't care (not all, some) about the vets because they don't do their homework, and the writing is often terrible. When vets are brought back after 15 years, the audience isn't told who they are (truly told who they are, IMO) and to them they're strangers who are suddenly being written for. Why should new viewers care about Steve and Kayla? Why should they care when Austin and Carrie pop in? I'm different in that I've watched the show for 20+ years at this point and I watch old episodes, clips, I read up on history, I post on these boards. I'm well-versed.

Sorry for the ramble. It's early and I need more coffee. Hope I made sense. I'm also kind of rushing myself lol so I'm probably not making a ton of sense.

• Members

I know, I know. I was just joshin' ya.

Please register in order to view this content

Reflecting back on my history with DAYS, it boggles my mind that I saw my first episode of the show 52 (!!!) years ago.

Now I feel ancient, but at least I can comfort my aged and decrepit self with the knowledge that I was lucky enough to see the show's very best years.

I hate that JJ is being put through sheer hell. I have a feeling once Theo recovers all this will be quickly forgotten.  I'm glad Days can still afford Christmas decorations. I liked Kayla getting tough with Kate. It's strange having characters having conversions in their bedrooms. I'm glad Sami is leaving. We don't have to endure Sami/Rafe/Hope nonsense.

Archived