DAYS: December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks, it came as a big shock. I had just lost a family member and then a few weeks later he commits suicide. It was an awful time for me. There were no signs he was going to attempt it. Yes, he had his problems but there was no hint of him taking his own life.

As for today's show I think it fell flat because I am not buying this whole JJ is responsible for all this and Theo is this saint person. The story doesn't have legs to stand on. Theo was committing a crime and unfortunately he got shot. Abe going on and on that JJ has to be pay doesn't ring true no matter how many times he says it. I know JJ feels bad and has every right but he had no clue that wasn't a gun Theo was holding. And the vigil for Theo is a bit too much. He isn't dead.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This story is a badly executed mess. Everything so far has been told from JJ's POV.  No scenes showing what Lani. Abe and Val are going through. All we see is an annoying bug eyed angry Abe. At no point has Abe's past history of shooting Larry and Brady has been mentioned. This bit of Abe's history glossed over undermines this story. Having Abe and Eli implying that the shooting was racially motivated. Further damaged this faltering story,  I think Casey Moss did a good job. But it all felt flat to me as well. A still alive Theo having a shrine at dopey Horton Square is a bit much. 

• Members

Thank You.  I received one of those goodbye letters and felt so bad I wasn't there to help and maybe prevent him from doing it. Everytime he felt bad he would call me but I was dealing with the loss of my uncle and I felt I kind of ignored him and let him down at the end. I hope he is at peace now but I really miss him.

• Members

As a Jack & Jennifer fan, today's episode was such a treat.  To see this kind of a spotlight on the Deveraux family (and JJ) is almost really emotionally significant to me after all the bs thrown at Jack/Matt Ashford.  It's crazy how well they've treated Jack in death, esp. TomSell--if they did such a good job keeping his ghost alive, why kill him the second they were rehired?  (Oh ya, bc of Daniel lolol.)

I get that the episode felt long at times... but a lot of the newly-created flashbacks were wonderful... I so appreciated RC including Hope and I was in tears during a lot of them.  Seeing Jack, Jennifer, and JJ together and Jack teasing Jenn... it was so wonderful.  JJ/Casey Moss is such a valuable asset when used correctly... he and Abby really feel like the heart of the show to me.

But it could've been produced better... really good intentions, but it looked like someone edited the flashbacks on a MacBook lol.  It was incredibly visually similar to Aiden's standalone in 2016.

And I understand the "Blue Lives Matter" comment... they were never REALLY going to go there with this story, which I'm relieved about because they would have had to introduce racist tendencies in a lot of legacy characters... but since this story is so tepid, just forget it.  At a time filled with so much racial violence perpetrated by police in America, it feels incredibly unnecessary, if not insensitive, to tell this story from the pov of an innocent cop.  But I won't lie and say I haven't enjoyed many moments and it has connected the canvas really successfully.

• Members

The scenes with Jack were spectacular, for sure, but what pissed me off royally was the fact that they even had to retro-actively create these wonderful scenes in the first place. It just shows the failures of Tomsell/Griffith/Higley in their handling of JJ and his family over the years that they never really showed the heart that JJ had, his insecurities, and explanation for the sudden rebound of his relationship with Abigail and Jennifer after his druggie start. JJ is a damn Horton for goodness sake.  He/Jennifer/Abby are the heart of the show, tbh.  

Props to Casey Moss/Missy Reeves/Ashford for reals. 

• Members

Beautifully done episode.  Period.  Great job creative team at Days.  All hands were expert in this.  Loved the episode, watched twice.  Emmy reel.  Writing, directing, Moss/actor, Matt Ashford rocked; loved the Jenn crying scene and Jack finding the pot. And special kudos to the set decorator for the classy redo of the Horton Living room.  All the tacky knick knacks were gone.  Great drapes.

• Members

I agree with you that the episode fell flat, and you’re right about the reasons. We all KNOW that JJ isn’t a racist killer cop and we KNOW that Theo really messed up in many ways. All this self-reflection and introspection is overdone. Abe’s charges should’ve been dismissed by everyone in town by this point.

That being said, Casey Moss was just great. He was so much better than the story he’s been given — and he has been since this storyline started. Without Moss, this story would REALLY be a mess.

I enjoyed the flashbacks, but they weren’t a “wow.” They weren’t incredible. Matthew Ashford has warmth and charisma and made those scenes work, but the writing wasn’t all that great. 

• Members

I didn't care for how Jack was made an enabler... that contradicted how he raised a teen (Ashley Benson) Abby... but I'm thinking that that Abby may have been erased from the show's continuity. But other than that, whether it was RC, Sherri, Ryan Quan, or Lorraine Broderick, TPTB managed to touch nearly every significant part of JJ... the only notable omission was Daniel, and I'M not complaining about that lol. The It's a Wonderful Life flashback was equally heartwarming, funny, and tragic.  The scene where he popped the pill in Alice/Jenn's living room--rough.  And Marci Miller showed up when she compared herself to Laura... Kate Mansi made Abby the show's lead ingenue and rocked the breakdown, but seeing Marci Miller's subdued approach was maybe even more heartbreaking than KM's charged take.  And when Casey Moss did the voiceover about him and Abby as kids and Jenn teaching him how to drive and that he sometimes still drives on the wrong side of the road--I was torn up.  I always try to find the best in things on the show lately, but I didn't have to look hard toady... maybe it's just because I love the Deveraux family so much lol.  My only regret was that Steve and/or Adrienne weren't included.

• Members

I think that one thing TomSell really understood was that Jennifer and her kids are the heart of the show... and, honestly, they created this concept.  Despite the Daniel propping, they saw potential in this leg of the Horton family and maximized it.  Starting this show in 2000, I thought the Horton torch would've been passed to Hope and her kids... but when Higley & Griffith tried HARD to make Hope happen again in late '15/'16, she/Shawn/Ciara never had the emotional and sentimental impact that Jenn/Abby/JJ had... this could be emblematic of writing, but idk.  While Abby and JJ feel like the strongest young Horton's, I've always felt like Jenn and Hope are maybe the show's most important characters, as the Horton stars.  Seeing Abby slowly evolve to their level has been a pleasure, and I'd like to see JJ and Shawn receive the same committed attention.  Shawn's long rest has definitely renewed my interest in the character.

It's funny how in the late 90's, we thought Carrie, Eric (Jensen Ackles), and Sami would become the heart of the show... I'm glad the Horton's preserved as the show's #1 family.

• Members

Just saw Tuesday's episode since there was NOTHING on tv....LOL.  Chandler Massey

Please register in order to view this content

and the white sweater!  You can see his incredible chest/pecs nicely. As for the episode Paul would have nothing with being friends with Will and I chuckled at Paul thinking Will wanted him as a boy toy on the side. Although, we know that's what Will wants...LOL.  I am so done with Sonny. He is making and hurting others for wanting it his way. He is being very pushy where Will is concerned. I hope Sonny ends up with nothing at the end. Felt so sorry for Paul when he teared up in John's shoulders. And can Freddie Smith do something with that awful hairstyle/haircut of his? It is gawd awful!  The twist at the end with Eve was nice but not very surprising. And I just love the Marlena and Will scenes. They always shine through everytime both have scenes together.

Archived