Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

For me it was less about Janet herself and more about how at the time there seemed to be a ton of raunchy public stunts at the MTV Awards, etc. to keep viewership up and eyes on folks pre-Twitter, and frankly neither Timberlake nor Janet seemed above it around then. It seemed of a piece with a lot of other lame look-at-me stunts of the period. But it turned out to be an honest mistake. Even when I wasn't sure, I never liked how she was treated while JT got off.

And that clip of Julie - wow. Not sure how The Talk weathers this.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I never saw any of those others get 'punished' with the same venom as Janet.  As entertaining as Madonna was/is, I've seen her pull some very cheap stunts over decades, including saying/doing some highly incendiary sh*t, there was days of grumbling but nothing that could be construed as blacklisting.

As for Chen, like I posted/ranted on the previous page, she should've sat down and ate her food.  She's used (some may say abused) her very public platform to not so subtly mete out pointed criticism to try to justify Janet being blacklisted, it's not rocket science to discern why.

Now that her scummy husband is under the microscope, again she used her public media platform to try to curve the narrative and also save herself from having to answer 'tedious' questions about her husband's behavior, when she could've just said nothing.  People would've grumbled but it would've been a sure shot better than her haughty holier-than-thou speech scolding people for actually wanting to know what was going on. 

I don't watch the show but that clip was played Ad nauseum on every media platform.

• Members

Yep.

The more I think about Julie Chen, the harder it is for me to see how she can remain at either show w/o engendering controversy.  Not that I'm saying I think CBS will show her the door, but I think the network will have a VERY tough time justifying her continued presence to its audiences in light of all these events.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Les' ex-wife is looking at the two right now and thinking, "KARMA!".

Edited by Khan

• Members

I agree.

If The Talk practices what it tries to preach - and they have in the past, sometimes at least (I surprisingly found their discussions a refreshing alternative to The View more than once) - I don't see how Sara Gilbert and co. can avoid addressing this.

• Members

Oh, yes. I understood why. Let me rephrase:  How dare that entitled SOB punish JJ for not groveling to him when she is the one who was wronged? That's the real kicker for me. She was exposed on national television! It's just unbelievable. At least JT was actually in the wrong even though it was an accident.

It's clear that some of these "Masters of the universe" will go to any length to punish women who won't bend to their will".  Probably not just women either. It sounds like this guy just can't stand to be defied and he has so much money and power he can really hound anyone who doesn't comply.

Ronan Farrow was just saying how ordinary people don't understand the means these filthy rich men have to get revenge on people. After the Black Cube stuff with HW, I think we are starting to get the idea.

• Members

Not sure if it's been mentioned: The offender in question above, Steven Striegel, is actually DOOL's Steve Wilder (ex-Jack Devereaux #3, ex-Alex Bastian on Melrose Place).

I love Shane Black's work - he's a screenwriting god, and I loved his and Fred Dekker's script for The Predator upon reading it a year ago and look forward to the film. That said, while Black has apologized for hiring Wilder/Striegel and claims he was misled, the entire situation has been horribly mishandled by him and Fox. Olivia Munn did the right thing.

Edited by Vee