Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Les Moonves had a lot of help from within the ranks of CBS. 

Getting rid of him (and the 'Golden Parachute' is beyond insulting) is solving only half the problem, since sexism and misogyny have become part and parcel of CBS' DNA in how it functions as an organization, at virtually every level (news, daytime, primetime, limited series, etc.).

• Members

Me too. I was resigned to him surviving this at least for a few years, but I imagine there are more women. Aren't there always, especially when someone has had a career as long as LM.  CBS probably didn't want to deal with the death by a thousand cuts.

He was never really gone.  I was watching this show called Better Things and his name popped up in the credits. He's not on it, so he must work behind the scenes.  I like the show, so I was sorry to see he's involved with it.

• Members

Thanks for finding that. Wow. Her career, admittedly already on a downward slide, still suffered enormously. I always thought it was just down to puritan hypocrisy in an election year. I had no idea he'd gone out of his way to ruin her because of not getting kissed up to enough. Just pathetic. And it really shows how dangerous he was to women in the industry to have this much power.  

• Members

I hate to say it, but I personally believed at the time that it was an intentional stunt. I had expected something like that.

I loved Janet growing up - worshipped her - but I thought her albums had gotten (and continued to be after the Super Bowl) increasingly desperate after the failure of The Velvet Rope, an album I loved. She went light and tacky afterwards - I didn't need fifteen tracks about her lady parts interspersed with five different "interludes". That being said, today it seems clear it was an accident, and I never liked that she was bashed and ostracized while Justin was absolved. So I'm glad to see it made official.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I agree.  And I, too, felt it was unfair how Janet was vilified for the "nip slip" while Justin was basically sent to his bedroom for one night without his supper.

Reading the article and those tweets helps explain (to me, anyway) why Janet's career basically cooled in the years since that incident.  (Gosh, has it really been FOURTEEN YEARS?)  It's easy to say, "Well, it was because Janet (and Mariah, Madonna, etc.) were edged out by the new, younger generation of artists"; and who knows, maybe that's part of it.  But I always wondered whether there was more to the story.

To think: if Les hadn't been so vindictive, Janet might have been spared the twin indignities of starring in "Why Did I Get Married?" and "Why Did I Get Married Too?".  (...or not, lol.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

This ^^ just makes me boil with rage even more. A $100 million golden parachute as thanksfor ruining a lot of women's careers and their chance to put food on the table. As head of not just CBS but Viacom, his reach was extensive and all-encompassing, as illustrated by Yashir Ali's Tweets regarding Janet Jackson. To the point where even a random book deal at Simon & Schuster gets kaboshed.

Moonves went out of his way to target all these women! He must really have a hate-on for females, because Justin Timberlake kisses his ass and gets helped to the next level of his uninspiring career, while Eric Braeden gets to play golf with Moonves every month. It seems like targeted, systematic attacks on women and their careers.

• Members

Reading about Moonves' involvement in stalling Janet's career with the intent to destroy her is making me angry all over again!  Imagine if Janet had been so desperate as to turn to substance abuse like Whitney, we could've lost her.

Moonves is even more of a misogynist than I thought.  He disgusts me daily. He should be getting the Weinstein treatment too.

I never thought it was a stunt on Janet's part.  It was choreography gone wrong.  As someone who once performed onstage and had to have 'quick changes' just beyond the stage, I know things can go wrong in seconds.  And yes, I've had things go wrong with costumes, although thankfully nothing on Janet's level.  I think in this society, Black people, Black women, in particular are regarded as Jezebels that are up to no good, with the assumption of guilt.  It's a slave mentality (she seduced the Massa). 

Historians who like to paint themselves as feminists can still, with a straight face, maintain that Sally Hemmings seduced Thomas Jefferson and not that a middle aged white plantation owner raped a 16 year old girl, multiple times, leading to her bearing multiple children that he kept enslaved.  Blame Sally, of course because Jefferson, one of the founding fathers, couldn't have possibly been wrong.

Same mentality, IMO.  Paint Janet as Jezebel, contaminating family-oriented, CTE causing late-afternoon entertainment. SMDH.

EDT:  And another thing-- Julie Chen should go too.  Initially, I was thinking she should leave just The Talk because people seem to want her to stay on BB (two shows that I admit to not watching) but she sat there on The Talk and haughtily defended him when she should've said something like "I love my husband but I will not speak on this at this time, as it involves a deeply personal matter to me") but she had to scold people for daring to call out her husband. 

She should've just sat there and ate her food, so to speak.  So she can go too but I doubt a company as soulless and pathological as CBS will do anything.  The same company that is bestowing a platinum parachute on a predator.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DramatistDreamer