Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From what I've read, though, "The Talk" is actually performing very well for the network, doing even better than "The View" over on ABC.  So, no, I can't see them dumping it.  But, if/when Julie Chen leaves, I could see them drawing a "name" like (and these are just examples, not saying they will make the list, or I want them on the list) Katie Couric or Meredith Vieira to fill that slot.  Because, as much money as Julie's making from this show and BB, I really doubt people tune in JUST to see her.

Nope.  He would have been vilified the same way Kanye was vilified for interrupting Taylor Swift's speech at the VMA's (although, in Taylor's defense, he really should have kept his seat and closed his mouth).  And, frankly, I would have been PISSED to see yet another black man apologize to a white girl.  I've had enough of that [!@#$%^&*] to last me a lifetime.

"Same" to ALL of this.

And let me just add (and I apologize for veering REALLY off-track): if you are someone (especially a woman) who supported Trump in the last election, even though you knew he was a philanderer and "p***ygrabber," but are now feeling outraged about this situation and think Julie Chen is a fool to stay with him one minute longer, well, you can just have a seat.  Thank you.

Edited by Khan

• Members

50's career would have been over (sooner) if that had happened, absolutely.

That being said: While I absolutely think there was a major racial element with what happened with Janet, I do think Moonves would've gone after Britney in the same situation if he felt she - or any woman - had failed to be properly deferential. His pattern suggests any woman who defies him is to be destroyed.

• Members

Watching THE TALK from yesterday and Mrs O is quaking with fear and it's interesting she said she was ASKED to make a statement a few months ago supporting Mr. Moonves, very interesting.

I think Chen is done for at the Talk, of course they'll make it seem like it was her decision. Yesterday's the Talk has the vibe of basically how obvious it was the Talk was for Moonves to give his wife a job 

• Members

Yeah, anyone who saw that segment online or on TV, it seems like they are preparing for Chen's imminent departure from The Talk

Like I said, I don't know about Big Brother but I don't see how anyone can think she'd be staying on a daytime talk show that is targeted toward a female audience and in the #MeToo era.  Especially seeing as she's used the show to defend her husband's actions and make questionable statements against his perceived would-be adversaries. 

Here is a somewhat interesting (and thankfully relatively brief) assessment of Moonves' rise and fall at CBS. People should be aware that his atrocious predator behavior predates his career at CBS.  I'm still curious about the actress that he victimized while at Lorimar (apparently he stuck oil career-wise because of his greenlighting Full House).

Les Moonves Put CBS on Top. Then It All Came Crashing Down.

• Members

I think if she leaves one show, she'll leave the other as well.  BB's ratings might be slipping, but I think the show is still a moneymaker for CBS; and I think THEY would think that her presence could jeopardize BB's future success just as much as it jeopardizes "The Talk"'s.

Prolly not.  Let's be honest: she was a journeyman journalist, who got as far as she did in the business, because she was "banging the boss," to quote Violet Newstead ("9 to 5").  Without Les' muscle and influence, she might have been relegated to some cable outfit a long time ago.  And that's probably where she'll end up, too.

• Members

Reading that makes me remember the whole hubbub with Nia Vardalos and her sitcom at CBS. I think Moonves said she wouldn't work for the network again (I can't remember). At the time I assumed she may have just had a big ego. Now I wonder. 

Knowing that people were dropped for the network for even working with her (in Huey Lewis' case this must have been around the time he was in Duets - he could have had a hit for CBS) is crazy. And Bette Midler also would have been better off with someone who had a much different approach than her sitcom ended up having. 

• Members

I was just wondering how and why Linda Bloodworth-Thomason fell off so hard when she came up here not long ago. Now we know, and I should've known.

But it's the same story with women like Janet Jackson, like Annabella Sciorra as a rising movie star in the '90s. We know now what happened to them. These men happened to them.

That one was especially crazy.

Edited by Vee

• Members

From Linda Bloodworth-Thomason's article:

Soon, I would hear how he had invited a famous actress to lunch in the CBS dining room. Coming off the cancellation of her iconic detective show, the star began pitching a new one. He informed her that she was too old to be on his network. She began to cry and stood up to go. He stood up too, taking her by the shoulders and telling her, “I can’t let you leave like this.” She reacted, suddenly touched. Then he shoved his tongue down her throat. I know this happened because the star is the person who told me.

Please tell me that was not Angela Lansbury.