Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

According to Wikipedia, Lorimar produced Dallas, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest.  I don't think Moonves arrived at Lorimar until the mid 80s though.

By the way, Lorimar became a subsidiary of Warner Brothers in the early/mid 90s and Moonves ran the television division.

• Members

Wow. I am literally stunned by the last two hours worth of revelations. First of all, I have always admired Linda Bloodworth Thompson, but now after reading her article, I have never been prouder of her! Talking about the legacy of strong women in shows which CBS and Moonves totally squandered. Her delineation of the misogyny in those CSI shows is especially on point, illustrating the misogyny of the man and the network.

Secondly, as someone who has worshipped Angela Lansbury and MSW since I was a child -- and who had the honor of meeting the great Dame Angela a few years ago; she was even more wonderful, whip-smart, gracious,and kind than I could ever imagined -- if Les Moonves assaulted her... I hope he rots in hell!

I do think it might be Sharon Gless though -- another actress I long admired.

Btw that statement by Fager where he basically admits to threatening a CBS reporter -- this hasn't been said yet but some journalists on CBS News and CBA This Morning have been doing good work reporting this story -- despite the obvious impediments to their being able to do so. 

• Members

Here's why I'm not sure it's Sharon Gless:

1) As I've mentioned before, "Cagney & Lacey" was done (save for the four TV movies) by the end of the 1987-88 season, long before Moonves took over the network; and the way LBT words it -- "coming off the cancellation of her iconic detective show" -- it sounds as if the series in question was cancelled either during Moonves' regime, or immediately before.

2) Gless starred in one other series that I know of -- "The Trials of Rosie O'Neill" -- that ran on CBS after C&L.  However, Rosie was an attorney, not a detective (or a cop); and it, too, was already dead-and-gone by the time Moonves arrived at CBS, in '95.

However, it'd make sense to assume it was Gless, since C&L was and is an iconic show; and it and DW once shared the same night (Monday) at the network.

No, it wasn't.  Moonves wasn't at CBS when Barney Rosenzweig replaced Meg Foster with Sharon Gless -- who, by the way, had been his original choice for the role from the start, going all the way back to the original, two-hour TV movie -- nor was he at Orion/MGM, which owned the show.  AFAIK, Moonves was still at 20th Century Television.

Remember, though, that "Hunter" was on a different network (NBC); and in fact, it wasn't cancelled until the year AFTER Kramer had left the series (remember when GL's Robert Newman played her new husband, who spirited her out of town and away from the force?) and had been replaced as Fred Dryer's sidekick with Darlanne Fluegel (and later, "The Nanny"'s Lauren Lane).

And to this day, I've no idea WHY Moonves would allow that to happen -- unless, not doing so would have resulted in enormous penalties for the network -- when he was so eager to kill the series by moving it from Sundays, where it was still a top 10 series, to Thursdays, where it was killed in the ratings by "Friends."

Edited by Khan

• Members

You know what's also sad about this?  We read the excerpts and several of our minds said "Sharon Gless" and NOT "Tyne Daly."  Now what does THAT say about us, boys and girls, lol?

LMAO!  I'm fine, thank you!

That was part of it (officially, anyway).  I also recall hearing at the time that Kramer wanted to focus more on music.  In retrospect, however, all that might have been just smokescreen.

Edited by Khan

• Members

D'oh!  I forgot about "Judging Amy"!

Thanks, Carl!

It might well have been Kramer or Gless, but there's so much vague and conflicting information that we might never know.  (Either way: Angie, baby, I'm-a need you to come ouchere and set this record straight that it wasn't you, lol.)

Edited by Khan