Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's what I'm saying!  ODAAT's cancellation can't be put down to financial reasons, because Netflix has renewed other series that cost way more than a half-hour, four-camera sitcom ever would.  They've just decided that they want a demographic other than the one ODAAT was bringing.

(By the way, I watch neither ODAAT nor any other series on Netflix.  But I still think this stinks.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Bringing up Sense8 does make me wonder why they didn't bring ODAAT back for at least a final wrapup movie. The cynical part of me wonders if they are going to announce a movie so they can get praise for sort of changing their minds.

Last season used Mackenzie Phillips a lot more than the first two seasons did - it was nice that people got a reminder of the decent actress she is underneath all the dramas. 

• Members

Netflix will likely try to wait it out then bring out a ODAAT clone that they will produce so as not to have to pay another production company (e.g. Sony).  That still doesn't explain why Netflix was willing to shell out $100 million to keep Friends on its streaming platform.

I'm dubious that a network will allow the show's creators and writers to write material without restrictions or interference but networks like ABC and NBC are definitely in need of series television shows that inspire such critical acclaim and a dedicated fanbase.  I also think networks usually do more to promote their shows (I said usually because this hasn't always been the case). 

I saw on social media that there were people who claimed they were frequent Netflix users and they had never heard of ODAAT.  That was the crux of the problem, in a nutshell.

• Members

I think the equivalent for ODAAT would be maybe a mini-season 4 of 4-6 episodes. Which I could take. But again, if a network or other outlet is willing to invest in the show and give it another full season or more a la B99 I say go for it. It was so sad seeing the kid who plays Alex saying he thought the show would run forever. I'd be happy if it could get one or two more seasons, which is a very respectable run in this day and age (but then, so is three seasons).