Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

An especially poignant statement to make on today, of all days. 

I wonder whether Netflix's restrictive contracts will impact their status of being near the top of the list for creatives.  I'm sure the money has a lot of appeal but for those who regard themselves as unwavering artists...well, artists value freedom.  I know that this has changed the way that I see Netflix a vehicle for creative works.

• Members

Well, I also read that CBS itself offered to buy As The World Turns but P&G refused.  I could never understand P&G's attitude.  It wasn't like they feared competition for other shows, they were the veritable 'dogs in the manger'.  

Well, they're struggling internally so maybe they should've taken that network money for their shows.  (*shrugs*)

• Members

I agree, but just how big is that fanbase? I adore the show and keep waiting every day to see it was picked up somewhere. Broadcast seems a stretch to me, personally. But I'd love it. I just don't know if there's this fight over it some think :/ 

• Members

It's pretty damning on them, personally, that they won't release it to be able to go somewhere else (of course it can go to broadcast and cable). I've had a bad taste for Netflix for a while now, personally. They still have some great content, but ehhh ... lol

I don't see them buckling but they should. CBSAA *really* wanted it and it would have been a really good get for them. I can't see it on primetime broadcast. I wish I could. I'd be beyond thrilled. (I guess I only can't because it's not the norm at all for streaming to move to broadcast, it's usually broadcast/cable moving to streaming, so this would likely be a first, no?)

I think Netflix has discovered half hour multi-cam sitcoms aren't being binged enough for them, they have a certain formula that works for them. I have no doubt the viewership is there. And I have no doubts they can afford the show ...

It does give them a bad look (Netflix was "everyone's savior!!!!!") But they probably hope it blows over as everyone gushes over their latest big name project.

Edited by KMan101