Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Members

I think Netflix still serves an important and valuable purpose, both for television and film. I admire so much of what they've done and are doing. The problem is they're now trying to pretend like they're NBC in the '80s and '90s, a big swinging dick network, and can afford to be mercenary, when in reality they are dealing with typical VC/startup money issues and trying to keep that hustle going til they're fully solvent. That's why there is the much-increased rush to force people to binge programming immediately to service their hasty metrics - something I hate to do with most shows, unlike a Stranger Things which I love but which is always just a singular cultural event, an extended motion picture - and to cap all non-owned properties at three seasons unless they perform beyond any logical expectation. They tried to claim ODAAT's numbers didn't work out and got clowned on that by actual data. The real reason is it wasn't their property. I'm still pissed the show isn't at CBS All Access because they couldn't do the gracious thing and let the streaming rights go. Yet they still want to act like they're the millennials' friend and ODAAT's biggest fans - no, you're a business.

Netflix needs to own its choices, acknowledge the nuance of both their (still-shaky) business model and their alleged artistic aims, and either learn to more honestly reconcile them or don't try to have it both ways. Stop trying to pressurize audiences to mainline all content ASAP so your cash flow stays golden, and stop making shows and showrunners live by that brutal, unsustainable model.

I didn't notice this in the original news:

Edited by Vee

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Congrats to ODAAT for finding a new platform!   It's interesting that Pop ultimately provided the platform. Interesting irony, like I mentioned previously, that Schitt's Creek started out on U.S. television being exclusively on Pop before also being streamed on Netflix.  The entertainment industry is something else!

I do think content creators, especially the big-wigs will be looking to get more flexibility from Netflix in the future.  There is an increasing divide between the showrunners (the big name ones expecially) and the writers who are paid scale in terms of working out these packaged agreements.  It has become an increasingly sore subject and it does encompass agreements worked out with streamers as well as network.

It's going to be interesting to see what the future of these type of agreements look like.

• Members

I'm glad they got another season. I don't really watch Pop as they have 500 commercials (Big Brother After Dark is interrupted by commercials every two minutes), but I will watch this. I hope they will take the opportunity to wrap up stories, especially for Penelope, who for me was not well served last season. I'm also glad that Rita Moreno will get this gift as you could feel how much the cancellation broke her heart. 

Netflix is becoming a really screwed up outlet. Shows that encourage teen suicide. Shows that encourage viewers to see homophobes as sexy and abusive, closeted relationships as sexy. Shows that "roast" Anne Frank and MLK. Shows that "punk" unemployed people. 

• Members

So happy the show has been saved. I'm with @All My Shadows in that I'll be satisfied if it lasts at least three more seasons. I'd even take two. It deserves to continue and like AMS said, be remembered fondly. I'm beyond thrilled!

Now folks need to WATCH. I believe it grew in numbers each season on Netflix though, did it not? It wasn't cancelled because it wasn't watched; it was cancelled because it wasn't "binge watched" (among other reasons I assume, notably they launched a Gabriel Iglesias sitcom ... they gotta clear the old for the new).

I've never cared much for Netflix, but I do admit they have had quality stuff and there's a place for them but they've had a messy few years. And I think they've kind of muddled the field with so many options to watch, things get lost in the shuffle. Before shows were able to stand out more as being on Netflix. Now streaming is becoming like broadcast, tons of shows left and right you can't even keep up and quality shows get left behind.

Netflix needs to decide what it wants to be, IMHO.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I say Netflix should just stick to movies, documentaries and specials, and let the others produce series.

Cue really offensive "Planet of the Apes" remark from MAGAt who totally isn't joking.

Edited by Khan