Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Members

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who isn't that far into season two. I will say "Hello, Penelope" touched me in a way that a comedy hasn't in years. It was brilliant, especially the cast integration and how the story was told.

I'm sad there are only a few episodes left to watch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So I'm a few episodes in (of Season 1) and ODAAT is really charming and warm. It also helps me deal with a stressful long haul of work on a deadline over the holiday - I break it up with more of the show or other stuff.

I didn't realize it might be on the bubble for a third season; I assumed it would get one because it's consistently gotten very good press, but I also know Netflix has been tightening the belt lately and become a bit less permissive re: numbers. I still expect it to be renewed but I'll keep watching. I worked on a great Norman Lear doc a few years ago and was pleased when he came back in force with this show, which I hadn't expected to work out, but it has. I'll have to re-read the interviews he and Kellett did about their creative process in S1.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Episodes 5 and 6 of S1 really justify this show's existence and reminded me a lot of early Roseanne, especially the latter episode - like the one where Roseanne gained and lost the secretarial job in the same episode. The drama and comedy were in perfect proportion and no one does pathos like Justina Machado. It's also very Norman Lear.

I'll probably finish S1 in a couple days when my work is over, a rarity for me as I like to make binge shows last a bit. I do hope it gets picked up. I'll be shocked if it isn't as the critics love it and frankly, diversity-wise it's an important feather in Netflix's cap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Making my way through the latter end of S2, and "Hello, Penelope" is fantastic. Schneider receives some much-needed humanization, and Justina Machado proves that she's a classic Norman Lear star. I'm willing to bet that she would have been wonderful in soaps.

Oh, and Max is a lovely romantic interest! He's handsome, sexy, funny, romantic, and just a good man.

The only weak spot this season, and I hate to say it, is Alex. The actor seems checked out 90% of the time.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

She would have but she never would have had a real role...I think only Agnes Nixon might have seen her potential. 

The only complaint I have about that episode is I wish that it had been built up to a bit more, but it works very well.

The scene where she snaps Schneider was long overdue, especially with all the jokes about how he has pushed himself onto the family for years (and the fans who go on about how wonderful he is and how horrible Elena and Alex's father is...). It meant that once the boundaries were set, her going to him for help after she herself sees that she needs help was all the more powerful.

I liked her work on Six Feet Under and then sort of stopped following her. I'm so glad she's gotten such a good part. This is a dream role and I can't think of anyone who could have played it better. 

The scene where she is in bed, drowning in depressed thoughts, is just incredible. You could use that as a showcase.

• Members

I was not expecting to see Mackenzie Phillips in episode 8 of S1. Always a pleasure to see her these days - I loved her on that silly Disney(?) sitcom So Weird in HS. She grew into a lot of authority as she got older and got clean post-ODAAT IMO, going back even to her appearances as Dylan's drug counselor on 90210.

Meanwhile, Alex is apparently doing some faith-based film with Chrissy Metz from This Is Us - directed by, of all people, Roxann Dawson from Star Trek: Voyager. I mean, he can get better off-season work but so can Metz, so...

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...