Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Members

this convo reminds me of the final season of Knight Rider. The episode "The Scent Of Roses" was IMPO the best episode of the 4th and last season. and I had always felt that it should have been the show's series finale.....well, come to find out las week, after doing some research, that the entire cast, producers and crew actually wanted and felt that episode should be the series finale. and the show was shot as so....but NBC network heads put the episode in the middle of the line-up and ended the show on the worst episode of the series, Voodoo Knight. 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

For me, the most touching moment was with Schneider, when he refers to her as "Annie" for the first time.

I can certainly understand where the character was coming from regarding "I should've done better." As parents, we often feel responsible in some way for the failings of our children, even if not truly our fault. There's always a "What if I...?" in there somewhere; certainly this would have been the case for Ann Romano, who cared enough for her children to get them out of a poor situation and divorcing their father.

• Members

First of all, the new season looks good. This show really grew on me the first season.

One thing irritates me though. The original show took place in Indianapolis. They went to great pains to mimic the original set, so for the first episodes, I assumed we were looking at Ann Romano's old apartment with new tenants in Indianapolis. But somewhere along the way, (I forget where), we learn they are actually in LA (and this trailer has shots of LA). Why? I haven't found a purpose for setting the show in LA vs. Indy. It's not as if there aren't or can't be Cubans in Indianapolis. And I probably wouldn't think twice if they hadn't made the apartment similar. Does this bother anyone else? Thoughts?

• Members

Aren't they supposed to be in Echo Park? 

It may be a case of trying to tackle too many issues at once but I believe Echo Park has been undergoing some pretty radical changes with gentrification and some of that was mentioned in the previous season. 

(Also, Schneider who manages the building is somewhat symbolic of the very hipster that is gentrifying the neighborhood, although they obviously love him and he's a part of their lives- he likely represents the positive side of gentrification 

Please register in order to view this content

)

Also, I think that showrunner lived in Echo Park and perhaps feels like setting the show there, she can draw on her personal knowledge of the area so that her characters feel more realistically grounded in a specific place, rather than writing generalities about somewhere abstract or somewhere she doesn't know that much about.

When I write, I like to be as specific as I can, the writing feels more genuine to me.

One complaint I had about a show like Friends was despite the fact that they were supposed to be set in NYC, it didn't truly feel like NYC.  I still enjoyed the show but that aspect grated a little.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If you have not done so, watch Season 2 of One Day at a Time on Netflix- the second season improves on the first and the episode "Not Yet" should earn Rita Moreno and Justina Machado Emmy nominations if there is any justice in the world!  The writing and acting in this episode is top notch- it will make you laugh and cry at the same time.

https://hiddenremote.com/2018/01/27/drop-what-youre-doing-and-watch-one-day-at-a-time-on-netflix/

• Members

I couldn't agree more. Wonderful episode.

What I really like about series is that it's a reminder of how good sitcoms were. For me in particular, the 1980s, where there was focus on family, current issues and yes, those "very special episode" type shows. The One Day writers have done a great job of blending it all. The actors have excellent chemistry and truly are an ensemble cast.

And how good is Todd Grinnell as Schnieder? 

I've also missed the days of watching the younger cast members grow up. Just look at how much Alex has changed since the first season.

Loving this show

• Members

Oh my god. That was such a good episode. This season definitely improved on the first. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

"Not Yet" was wonderful. I knew they wouldn't do it but yet the episode still left me questioning "would they ...." so that to me says how good the writing is. I was a mess lol.

This show is so full of character development. The soap writers we have today could learn a thing or two.

And it's great to see Mackenzie Phillips continue to pop in (I think she was in two episodes, could have been more). And Judy Reyes

(wonder why Valerie Bertinelli hasn't guested and doesn't seem to acknowledge the show. I wonder if they think she's too much more of a 'name' and people would expect Barbara. Yet Phillips can play a counselor named Pam)

Georgia Engle guest starred

I noticed Kim McCullough directed an episode this season (maybe it was more than one but I only noticed her name on one episode). I think it was the Hoarders inspired episode with the garage and all of Lydia's momentos.

Rita Moreno. Lawd. This woman is just amazing. I adore watching her and what this show gives her. She's just fantastic. Justina and Rita deserve Emmy's for sure. I hope they're recognized because they're just amazing actresses.

I also really like the topics the show handles. It never feels overly heavy even when things get serious. They've really mastered the balance. It's very Lear-inspired but a little more light (obviously it's Lear inspired but you know what I mean).

I liked the 2001 flashback episode. It gave me chills hearing about the 9/11 attack again and it feels ... bizarre to have it be part of history, if that makes sense? While I didn't lose anyone personally in 9/11, I'll never forget where I was and watching the coverage.

I also really liked how much they worked in Tony Plana as Berto. It was fun to see more of him and it never felt forced.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I loved the nod Elena gave to original Schneider. The vest, the phone in the rolled up shirt sleeve, the tool belt, the keys, the leaning on the door I like that Elena is a "handy ma'am"

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I've only watched the first two episodes so far, but I'm sold on it again. Everything I enjoyed about the first season is back - the long scenes that build and build, the easy chemistry between the cast, the ability to take serious issues seriously while still providing the comedy, etc. It's just classic Norman Lear, and it's fantastic. What worked in 1975 is still working in 2018. Looking forward to seeing the episode y'all have mentioned.