Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Even in these models...viewership still counts I guess.  I watched it and thought it was funny.

I think we are seeing people want escapism again from real life.  Or they want something more melancholy than what one a day at a time offered.  Shows balancing the escapism and real life like odaat suffer.

Still..I'd rather the show go out in top notch quality over continuing with their quality diminishing..like the original version did...and other Netflix shows.

• Members

I'm also more than a little annoyed that they knew this could be the last season and did so little with Penelope's character. She was treading water and only toward the very end of the season did she get more of a chance to shine. Such a waste of Justina Machado's talent.

• Members

I think (like a lot of platforms) Netflix is caught between making quality television (and I think they do make some of that, in addition to making some schlock) and having to learn how to function like a real business in what is still a fairly new landscape, which they pioneered. That leads to a lot of schizophrenic and often backwards behavior, claiming to want one thing while doing another and trying to suddenly make hard-nosed decisions like a major network while claiming they're not like the networks. Well, they are and they aren't and they need to figure that out.

• Members

I agree with so many of the tweets Vee cited. Netflix can't continue pretending they are everyone's best buddy and then make decisions like this.  The way they are burning through cash there is no way this was more than a drop in the bucket to them anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/investing/netflix-cash-burn-stock/index.html

• Members

This is part of what I wanted to mention when I cited a gripe with Netflix's new business model (in the Awards Show thread). They have now become so committed to drawing in the big-time film directors and the big budget projects that they are leaving behind the independent and indie-adjacent fare that used to be their stock and trade, including a lot of shows by minority creatives.  It's a shame, really.

It's no coincidence that they've canceled so many shows with minority majority cast (e.g.The Get Down, Sense8, Everything Sucks).  I've never seen 13 Reasons Why or Insatiable but I take it that they've been renewed and people are objecting to it?

Something seems fishy about this.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Sure does.  And if you know about the history of the FOX, WB and UPN networks, for example, then you know that b.s. moves like cancelling ODAAT are nothing new.

It's the same old story: use us (meaning, the "urban" audiences) to build your brand, then toss our asses out with the trash while you go chasing after white America.

I hate to say it, but maybe Mo'Nique had a point about boycotting Netflix.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I get the issues with The Get Down and Sense8 - both were runaway productions and at least one (The Get Down) went massively overbudget and became a BTS nightmare before any of it aired. But with Sense8 they at least bowed to pressure and did a wrapup movie. ODAAT has to cost a fraction of both of those and it can't get another season?