B&B - May 2015 Discussion thread

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're not alone. She's just smelling herself because she's been passing, she's been adored by the man she loves who accepts her inspite of herself, without his knowledge of who she truly is and she's siced that as a trans woman she's bolstered to be the Forrester matriarch. And now it may all come crashing down because of who she truly is, when if she was cisgender female, it would never have been an issue.

• Members
Well thats obvious bc if she was a cisgender female, there would be no lies and secrets, hence nothing to be upset about. The way the show is presented it, her being transgender is irrelevant as no one seems all that phased or holding that against her. Its the lies and secrets which the show is focusing on, which IMO does it an injustice bc they have this unique element to the story which they arent playing up.

• Members

Well, I'm finally up to date with the show (as much as I can possibly be), so here's a few thoughts...

I thought it was quite brave of B&B to tell a transgender story, and I had expected it to be presented completely different to how they've written it. They've structured it around Maya having a big secret, which means the entire focus of the story has been on secrets and lies, as if they're trying to say keeping it a secret is wrong, and those who are transgender should come out straight away to whomever's in their lives (like, that's the most important aspect of this). But, that's actually a very difficult thing to do, and I don't know if they're presenting that side of the story as well as they could be. Maybe it's b/c Maya isn't a very sympathetic character, despite the fact that she's going through something very personal, which takes a lot of guts to go through, and should be commanding the viewer's sympathies. Or maybe it's the overkill focus of it being a secret that is zapping a lot of the emotional integrity out of the story? Whatever it is, it does leave me a little cold, which is a shame. I feel this needed to be left in the planning stages longer than it probably was.

I thought the Maya/Brooke scenes were great, if not oddly plotted (the previous episode ended with Brooke saying: "I know", but we got no follow up to that - what exactly did Maya think Brooke knew?). So far the characters reactions have been quite muted. Eric was way too clued up for a man like him, and apparently Ridge was trying to get his head around it, but you could have fooled me with his underwhelming response. I think the show is missing Stephanie and Taylor type characters right now, who would fill a lot of the roles this story needs. Will anyone actually be bigoted enough to display the horrors that trans people face? Taylor should have been around, so she could at least have had Eric's lines.

The Spencers and their constant recapping is so annoying. I get it, they want to take over Forrester, oust Rick and learn Maya's secret. I don't need to be reminded of this every time they appear on screen. They really need to find some lives to lead. This is the same for Rick, too, who constantly reminds us that he values honesty, and that Maya is the most honest person in the entire galaxy - oh, and she's the most womanly woman ever. We get it, Brad.

This show also needs to have more going on than it currently does. I think it would benefit from having at least three storylines running concurrently; they have enough characters who could do with a subplot or two. It would help create some variety when the A-story slows down. I also wish they'd bring Brooke's office back, as it's so claustrophobic with how they only have two office sets to use and a photo studio; Brooke and Eric randomly hanging out in the photo studio to chat was stupid, as is every character from the jewellery designers to the co-VP's sharing one office!

• Members

So I totally didn't realize Nick, the transgender character played by the transgender actor Scott Turner was going to show up today. That was a nice surprise. I also wonder if his partner, Chris, is a male or female? Could be either one.

So I'm torn about Wyatt knowing now about Maya. On one hand, having the Spencer's turn it into this huge media scandal would be very soapy and bring lots of drama, but he also really rubbed me the wrong way, in how he didn't hesitate at all and had no conflicted feelings. This is something a tabloid would do, more than a fashion mag.

• Members

Nicole aint sh-t for telling Wyatt, Maya's secret. How dare she

With that said, Im looking forward to Wyatt using Spencer to create a scandal to blow up Rick's world. This is where it needs to go. Stop playing it safe B&B

• Members

At least when the secret is blown up on the Spencer publications blogs, websites and news, it will put the kibosh on the phony notion that there was ever an actual Nicole/Wyatt relationship. Funny thing is that until a few days ago, I still had this vision of Bill Spencer being the one who ultimately uncovered the scoop by maybe a private detective-- have Maya followed or something. Oh well, Tweedle Dum found out after all, I guess the show's goal was to have Wyatt become useful in some capacity.

• Members

Let me get this straight. We've had months of Wyatt and Liam, telling us they are the good guys, they care about woman, Rick is the devil etc. But they're the ones who are going to use the fact that someone is transgender to take over a company? To spread this truth, in a hardly perfect world, across the media. They are the ones who found it "fun" to seduce a young naive woman into confiding into them, and ultimately betray her trust?

These are the good guys? Yep. Okay.

I hope this addressed. And while I suspect Maya's world will come crashing down, in the end she will be the one to come out of this with the last laugh

• Members

This storyline is unrealistic!!!! In real life a mother would have DRUG Maya and called her a man. I know it's horrible but most DONT understand trans people. Even if they say they're accepting they would be singing a different tune of their child brought one home.

I wanted a juicy Maya and Brooke confrontation

Maya: " I'm the woman you've always wanted for Rick"

Brooke: "no you are NOT you are a MAN and have been masquerading as something you're not for years"

I wanted some slaps! This is a soap! There is no way that a person can find out their child's significant other is transgender and not immediately tell them. This reveal has been lame.

F-ck Wyatt. I hope Nicole drags him

• Members

Ridge to Rick: So you want me to respect your girlfriend. The woman behind the man... She obviously gives you something that no one else ever has, and I find it difficult to even see you with another woman at this point. It almost seems as if someone made her just for you.

BRILLIANT!

• Members

If I were Maya, I would kick Nicole's tail. How dare she run her mouth like that, something so personal and huge, Wyatt's face was hilarious though. Oh, and that dancing was painful, I always feel sorry for soap actors who have to bop to music that's added in post-production.

I feel like the writers are just trolling us now every time we hear "The Forrester Matriarch".

• Members

With that much of a buildup in that final scene, I wonder if Wyatt isn't going to give false information to Liam. The writers made sure to show how much was wrestling with his conscience over 'betraying Nicole's trust'

Perhaps it's nothing more than a Friday Cliffhanger... On a Friday. What a novel concept, eh?

• Members

The Nicole and Wyatt part of this transgender story is horrible and for me definitely the worst part of it. Why does this ditz come to town, blackmails her sister to tell her secret, then pressures Maya into keeping but mouth shut, then shares the secret with Lame Ass (after being on like 2 dates). When we first saw her I thought Nicole was going to be edgy and sassy.

The secret coming out through the irrelevant Spencers is the last thing I want. Liam's reaction in the end was awful. Get a life and get a grip get away somewhere take a trip

I must be in the minority but I would prefer it if Maya tells Rick herself.

The scenes with Maya and Nick were cute. I want more distress and conflict from Maya though. I guess she has accepted herself but a secret and aspect of your life this huge must be horrible to share, considering it might ruin everything she has.

Archived