Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Members

Well I guess I was filling in the blanks for what the writers failed to provide to us.

And I was just trying to get clarification on what you said so I could better understand.. my apologies.

For me, Kay Alden succeeded in transforming Tricia Dennison from a typical teary eyed blonde bimbo into a fascinating psychological nutcase. It was so gradual and looking back.. the seeds were in place going all the way back to when she first got together with Ryan and was all weepy and melodramatic when Ryan wouldn't dare leave his wife for her LOL

Also, she seemed to take on the mom role after her mother died.. and in a weird way, it seemed like she was the surrogate wife for her dad. Was it her, or Megan that had more of an issue with Jill dating their father? Plus, she was studying child psychology when she was first came on... ironic given how far she fell mentally over the years.

For all that, I think Kay Alden more then proved she was capable of head-writing a show. Though I do think Nina suffered under her.. becoming even more isolated from the canvas.. though I did like her divorcing Ryan.. trying to accept Ryan's new wife, and dating a couple of guys before she started dating Tomas. Also, I did like how Nina was the safety net for Mackenzie and Megan to go to when things got stressful... she was more nurturing and not as judgemental as Christine (Cricket was).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nina actually flourished under Alden (she became much more mature & self reliant).

Unfortunately a messy divorce & the grinding pace of daytime drove Tricia Cast from the show midway through Alden's tenure so Nina's potential was never fully realized.

• Members

Verbally they did.

The best thing about the sperm story was that EVERY character (especially the female characters) had major problems with each other.

Nikki didn't just hate Diane, she also hated Ashley, who herself ALSO hated Diane, who hated THEM BOTH right back. :lol:

• Members

No worries smile.png My bad.

The Tricia stuff was a work of art. To take a boring character with an actress that was being wasted and turn that into a years long descent into madness was exhilarating. It was the gift that kept on giving.

Tricia did assume a mother-like relationship with Megan, which created lots of conflict between them (even as they still loved each other very much). Megan wouldn't accept the kind of mothering interference Tricia tried to bestow on her (while she was slowly, but surely, losing her mind laugh.png).

One of my favorite memories is when they brought two of my most beloved characters, Nina and Mackenzie, together when Nina found out who Mac was and offered her a place to stay. The best part being that Nina seemed to instinctively have a good sense about Mac and understand her closed off nature and offered support without pushing for answers or becoming overtly 'adult' with her. It was such great use of history (plus both of their connections with the Chancellors).

• Members

LOL

I will never forget them running into each other at The Lodge and the show seemed to have built a HUGE bathroom set (it looked bigger and more luxurious than other soaps' mansions lol) complete with hallway (or whatever that was) just for them to fight in for a couple of episodes. All while The Lodge was full of extras. Ah, those were the days.

So that's why she was written off! It never made sense to me otherwise because Alden did great work with her.

I wonder what would have happened with Nina/Tomas had she stayed. Do you think Alden would have ever done a story with Nina finding her first child or would she not have touched it? I did love the pain that not being able to find her son brought Nina and that it always stayed with her but I also get goosebumps at thinking how great this could have been and the performances we'd get out of Cast.

laugh.png

• Members

I realized as I wrote my statement that she actually was served well.

I do think that Nina's novel was the first step toward her first born being discovered and Tricia Cast leaving cut the story short.. and only the Star is Born story arc was played out.. and not the location of her first born.

• Members

And I remember Nina was the first person to notice Tricia was losing her mind and even went to Ryan about it but he didn't listen.

When Victoria later went to Nina much later about Tricia...Nina made a joke about the ex wives club and said that she was staying out of it and then shortly thereafter she left. Ninas absence.during the last months of the Tricia story didn't affect it..but I think it was an important element that could.have made it even better.

• Members

Nina had some great moments under Alden.

One of my favorites was Ryan confiding in Nina about Victoria's contributions to his marital problems & Nina flippantly saying she was glad to not have to deal with Victoria anymore. laugh.png

Another of my favorite later Nina scenes is the one YRBB mentioned between Mackenzie & Nina. It was an unfortunately all too brief relationship which was beautifully underplayed between the two actresses.

The best thing is that Alden allowed to Nina to be sexy.

She grew from a desperate vixen under Bill Bell into a sensual earth mother which suited her new found maturity perfectly.

• Members

I hate how much they ruined with Nina in general....The Ronan story was one of the worst ever......

If I can say one bad thing about Nina under Alden, I wasn't too found of that short hair she had right before she left, then again it seemed like all the daytime women had that same look around that time....haha

Archived