Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's really interesting to think/speculate about this. What we do know is that Bell considered her his right hand, that she often seemed to know/sense what he wanted or needed to do and that she deemed her worthy of succeeding him and headwriting the show. In other words, she was an indispensable part of Bell's experience in headwriting the show and played a major part in it.

As far as her co-headwriting, I'd love to know. What's clear is that, in 1998 there was a hugely noticeable upswing in energy, writing and excitement as soon as she was 'officially' made co-HW, following two rather droll and uninspired years (still tons better than most else) so I don't know where that leaves us with the speculation. Maybe 1996/1997 were more about Bell's worsening health than anything else and Alden didn't yet have sufficient control over the show.

• Members

I knew someone would bring that up. ;)

To this day, I believe that particular story did not originate with Kay Alden. But I do give her and her team credit for grounding it and giving it some logic. Because, in another writer's hands, that story would have been all about turkey basters, knockout drugs, wacky fertility nurses, and electric cattle prods.

Archived