Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Members

I even think Alden utilized Jill and Kay more then Bill did in later years......I'm talking mostly from 96-97 where it seemed like those 2 stopped interacting that much then the following year 1998 it was the battle of the estate, and that's initially when Alden began writing on her own...Though I think the idea came from Bill.....

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've read how the feud between Kay Alden and Ed Scott began over the casting of Sean Bridges. Either Alden wanted Christopher Douglas and Scott didn't, or Scott wanted him but Alden didn't. (Again, not sure of the facts.). Either way, the chasm resulted in Douglas being replaced by David Lee Russek (?), who didn't last for long before the character was written out altogether.

I still remember, though, when I'd first learned that Kay Alden was officially HW with Papa Bell becoming Executive Story Consultant (a cover, I think, for the fact that Bell was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease). The two big stories around that time were Mac's introduction and that story w/ Marc Singer's character keeping Victor stranded on some mountain for some reason I can't recall at the moment. Although both stories had their faults, I felt it was the first time I was really getting into Y&R after being a casual viewer w/ Mama Khan for most of my life.

• Members

It sort of sickens me to say, but another thing is that the only reason why Alex Donnelly was fired as Diane is because apparently Scott wanted her gone because he was "threatening" Melody's success....maybe it was those contract negotiations things MTS was going through when she left a few months in 2001....I guess that explains how Susan Walters came on as I'm sure AD refused a return after going through all that crap...

• Members

IMO, Alden probably did her best work with David Shaughnessy as her EP. He seemed to revitalize the show, particularly when it came to the Jabot/Newman wars, without turning it into a different show. To this day, though, I have no idea why he either left or was fired.

• Members

Actually, I've heard TPTB were glad to be rid of AD, who was considered a neurotic and a troublemaker on the set. Of course, she was first on the show in the '80's, so either she flipped out between stints or whoever was once in her corner (Papa Bell, perhaps?) either couldn't fight for her anymore or wouldn't.

• Members

Less than one year after assuming the role of Sean Bridges, David Lee Russek (Sean Bridges) has decided to call it quits.

Russek took over the role of Sean on The Young and the Restless on August 6, 2001, after it was announced that Christopher Douglas had been let go. Douglas created the role on March 29th. His dismissal was mired in supposed controversy between head writer Kay Alden and then-executive producer Edward Scott.

A spokesperson for The Young and the Restless confirms Russek's exit, saying that the departure will be "storyline dictated." The spokesperson declined to comment on whether or not the role would be recast.

Russek does not rule out a possible venture to another soap, however, the actor states that it would be hard to match the experience that he had at Y&R.

• Members

The battle for the estate started in April 1998, when Bell and Alden were co-HW, so it's anyone's guess who came up with the idea. Alden, however, was the one to headwrite the majority of it, to resounding success (Jill's poolside explosion or Kay nearly falling off the wagon as a result being just two examples).

• Members

Not at all. David Shaughnessy was a competent EP, a good replacement for Scott (promoted from within, too) and there were aspects of his producing that I loved (such as the lighting, for example) but, overall, the balance of the show wasn't as good anymore and, after he took on, the show's energy and tone became rather sleepy (which also happened around the time Shemar Moore left the show, giving them a HUGE blow with the loss of a star and no excitement to try to appease the audience with). The command of the actors also wasn't as strong, although they all mostly still did great work (Y&R used to be consistent with that). All of 2002 is an example of this. The stuff like Jack/Diane custody fight, Paul/Isabella, Diego/Victoria, Lorie's return, Victor's PussyTour etc aren't anywhere near Alden and whoever was her co-headwriter's best stories, although some of their stuff was from good to great. Granted, even then we had stories like JT/Colleen and the show was miles above the rest.

I will say this, however, the major return to the Jabot/Newman wars, the way it was introduced and developed and took a whole year basically was genius and indeed was revitalizing. The show direly needed it and could would shoulda kept it up.

2002 is one of the main reasons why I felt that, if Sheila was ever going to return, it should have been then. The show was in DIRE need of a major, thrilling story, the writing was still good/great enough, Lauren was back, and they really could have made something of it. Once Smith got his hands on her... oy.

• Members

A Sheila return story under Alden would have been stellar, I agree...even if Sheila had no real reason to be back on Y&R at that point....

A little off topic, but during Sheila's summer 2002 return to B&B, it's kind of strange how Lauren made a visit there at some point, but didn't even mention Sheila I believe? It's not a big deal but at the same time You have Sheila's biggest arch rival drop in for a visit where you spent more of a decade fighting with each other, and there was no acknowledgement of Lauren being in town from Sheila just to give some viewers a catch up on all the stuff that went on with them in L.A...

• Members

The Mac & Chet stories happened eights months into Alden's stint and were great, especially Mac's intro (Chet was basically a short term story that helped out with the Newman takeover). I still remember falling in love with Mac instantly and Kay realizing Mac is her granddaughter is a wonderful scene. What did you think were those stories' faults?

Archived