Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Members

I'm not sure who came up with it, but it was one of the most degrading stories I've ever seen on a soap, along with that mess a few years later with a dozen women begging Victor for another chance/pining away over what might have been as Victor looked on like a benevolent god. I'd already sort of moved away from Y&R at this point, because I didn't really like most of the stories being told, but the whole thing made me sad as a viewer.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eileen Davidson once said, quite specifically, that the 'Sperm Swap' storyline was not executed the way Alden had intended it to be and that it never was brought to the conclusion or had the long term repercussions that it was meant to have - which she didn't elaborate on...but there were definite possibilities there. It sounded like the storyline was hit with rewrites throughout and I agree that, in other hands, it would have been truly terrible, but I didn't mind it at all - the conflict between Diane and Nikki was ferocious and terrific for AD and MTS.

• Members

That makes sense.

I do think Kay Alden is a wonderful writer. 1998 was one of the last completely good years of a soap that I can remember. The show felt exciting and fresh and opened up, while still maintaining Y&R's signature style.

She really seemed to love soaps and the soap genre, and that's very rare. It would be nice if some soap at least hired her with a consultant while they still have breath left.

• Members

I'll say it again: I will never believe the idea for the Great Sperm Swap originated from the mind of Priscilla Kay Alden. I just can't bring myself toward that conclusion. Don't get me wrong: we could go weeks -- nay, MONTHS -- talking about the crazy stuff that had happened before on Y&R. (Brad-in-a-cage? Oy.). But sperm swapping? No, someone at CBS or SONY must have been watching DAYS one afternoon and thought, "Hey, why not?".

• Members
I think Kay Alden would do great work for DAYS -- provided, NBC, Sony and Ken Corday stay out of her way. Because, I must admit, even the deification of TGVN at Y&R was more tolerable for me with her there than it's been withOUT her there.

For allmc and anyone else interested in knowing more about the Great Sperm Swap, I will try as best as I can to give the "highlights" of the story. If I forget anything crucial, feel free to jump in. Okay? Okay.

Victor had divorced Diane in order to remarry Nikki, who was supposed to be on her deathbed thanks to insane Victoria Landers, who had shot Nikki and her husband (also Veronica's ex-husband) Josh one night at the Newman ranch. The plan, I believe, was for Victor and Diane to remarry after Nikki's death. However, two things happened: Nikki recovered, and she and Victor realized they still were in love with each other. Naturally, this made Diane Mad. As. Hell.

Diane learned Victor, who had undergone a vasectomy thanks to Nikki's suggestion, had had a sample of his sperm frozen and stored at a lab prior to the procedure. Diane determined to steal the sperm and implant herself with what she hoped would be her and Victor's child. BUT -- Nikki got wind of Diane's plans (I forget how) and swapped Victor's sperm with that of another "donor."

Now, here is where the story gets a little crazy.

Ashley learned about Victor's sperm (again, I forget how...damn that effing Splenda...) and decided SHE wanted to carry Victor's baby as well. So, she did what any sane, logical woman would do in her situation: she stole Victor's sperm...and she hid it...in her freezer. And for months after she successfully inseminated herself with a turkey baster from her kitchen, she maintained she got pregnant from a ONS with a stranger.

Subsequently, Brad Carlton married Ashley and gave her daughter, Abby, his name...and everyone was shocked to learn Jack, and not Victor, was the biological father of Diane's son, Kyle.

• Members

Victor remarried Nikki on her deathbed after getting a quickie divorce from Diane but found out later that their (V/N) marriage was invalid because the waiting period to make his & Diane's divorce final hadn't ended.

Thus Diane felt she had a valid claim on Victor's assets (who she had been planning to start a family with) as Nikki (which is why she was interested in getting pregnant with Victor's child).

• Members

Ashley didn't keep the sperm in a freezer (that was Diane).

Ashley snuck into the penthouse, stole a sample of the sperm Diane was saving & had herself impregnated with it during a winter holiday trip, only to return to GC after New Year's claiming an old friend of hers (the guy Eileen was cheating with in real life) was the father.

Diane believed Victor was Kyle's father until shortly after her son's birth where she was proven wrong & was chased out of GC by Victor. Nikki (who knew the whole truth) went to visit Diane & Kyle in Europe which spurred Diane to return to GC and (eventually) learn the real truth behind Kyle's paternity.

Archived