Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it had happened on PASSIONS, all the men's sperm would have been swapped, resulting in every woman in the cast being impregnated -- but none by the guy they had intended. And NBC would have launched a massive ad campaign for it (the "Summer of Sperm") and everything.

• Members

Meg Bennett ( ex Julia Newman) also wrote for Y&R in the 80's with Bell, Alden, and Smith. I think Jim Houghton's (ex Greg Y&R ex Kenny Knots) sister Mona Houghton was a writer for Y&R for a while. I saw an old script with her name on it one time for sale on ebay.

Didn't Susan Seaforth Hayes mother also write for Y&R at one point ?

• Members

Heh, the interesting thing was her firing was turned into a "controversial" spectacle. Shattuck went to the soap press with "woe as me, I've been replaced in favor of a casting stunt!" with Davidson coming fresh off her first run as Kristen on Days. The tactic gained a lot of sympathy, especially from Epperson fans(someone in SOD wrote Davidson's rehiring was an unnecessary gimmick!). Once Davidson appeared on screen it the controversy died instantly.

• Members

Ashley had changed a fair amount in Eileen's time away, and some key ingredients were never the same, especially her relationship with Jack (I was startled at the time by how little connection she had with Peter Bergman, although he's had so little chemistry with anyone in recent years that now it's difficult to care).

I've never felt like Eileen has had a good story since her return to the role. I doubt she ever will.

• Members

I was surprised how long Shattuck lasted in the role. I remember the posters at Media Domain referred to her as " Shari Shattup" and commented she looked like a crossed eyed cat.

Another weird casting choice that made viewers balk around that time was Sarah Aldrich as Victoria Newman . That lasted about 5 minutes before Heather Tom returned.

• Members

Was it Alden or Jack Smith or both who made Kay and Jill mother and daughter? That dumb contrivance really ruined the integrity of their complex relationship. I remember cringing when Jill would refer to Kay as "mother" and the whole ladies who lunch thing when they had no storyline at all. It was just a stupid move. However, I do kind of understand, from a creative standpoint, why they did it. Their storyline together was growing stale, so writers wanted to add a fresh dynamic to it. If I were writing, however, I would've just taken Jill and Kay out of each other's orbit for a while, given the whole relationship a rest, and sent them in different story directions. But I think by that point, TPTB had trouble seeing them as anything other than one two-headed character incapable of carrying story, or even being in scenes, away from the other. I suspect it was Smith's idea, but not sure. Whoever the idea came from, wrong move!

• Members

I actually remember being in college when Eileen returned as Ashley.. my mom was over the moon cause Eileen was who she saw as Ashley.. and I remember thinking what the heck Kristen Dimera was doing in Genoa City..and actually thought of her as faux Ashley since I remembered Brenda E as Ashley (and she played her for 7 years or so).

It took Eileen a good several months to ease back into the character.. but the show gave her time. That's what angered me about when David Tom had come back and was raked over the coals then let go just as fans were getting used to him. I remember even telling some of these people about how it take Eileen awhile to get back into playing Ashley.. and some actually backed off.

Archived