Why wasn't Kay Alden as respected by TPTB as Bill Bell

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That sounds like an episode of "Dynasty". Or "Seinfeld".

Eileen Davidson has argued that Adam gas-lighting Ashley was a payback of sorts for her actions during the GSS. I don't know whether I buy that, though. People might have seen her actions as deplorable, but I don't think they held the grudge for THAT long that it needed to be addressed and addressed in that way. I just think the story was meant for Sabrina, but she was killed off, so they put Ashley in her place.

• Members

Oddly enough, I think Michael was close to saying something in those lines at some point, but he disgusted himself :lol:

In any case, I would have just liked them to at times exercise some "beating around the bush" when it came to the story. That's all.

Oh, that's a good one!

Classic. Always fun to rewatch.

• Members

Oh, please. I never even thought Ashley had to pay :lol: Because, obviously, the consequences from the reveal would have been enough. That's just BS -- MAB would never even think to do that. If indeed the story was meant for Sabrina, and MAB couldn't let go of such a "brilliant" idea, then I can see that. But to pay by having her baby thrown in the fire? No.

Sabrina *shudders*

• Members

Ashley's involvement made sense.. remember in the 1980s, she aborted Victor's baby.. and when he rebuffed her.. she had a nervous breakdown.

So in a weird way, Ashley saw this as a way to atone for that event. Given Ashley's history with mental illness, it made perfect sense. Interesting that Ashley's mental issue took center stage only when Eileen played the part. When Brenda E played the part of ashley, she was nice, but very strong willed when pushed.. and Shari S.. was a bitch on wheels.

• Members

All this is true but it's not why Ashley's involvement didn't make sense. The problem was with the execution. Ashley's abortion I believe was brought up briefly by this was mostly about Victor and Ashley's sudden desire to want a baby now. They didn't show her losing her mind again. She wasn't in a fog/confused/ill. She was still stoic, logical, practical Ashley who methodically planned and executed the stealing of "the deposit" to get herself pregnant. That's what saddened me. Mostly what came across, right or wrong, was a baby-crazed woman who stole semen. Mental illness didn't factor in this at this point at all. The most she said later on was that she made a "terrible, terrible mistake" in stealing the sperm. She basically just wanted it, so she stole it. It could have been more and better.

• Members

So you are saying had Ashley been written as mentally unbalanced..or told she had limited time together pregnant..it would.have made more sense?

When Ashley was pregnant with Brad's baby, she was still mentally there...and when she lost the baby then she flipped out.

• Members

blink.pngblink.pngblink.png That's what I said?

You argued that Ashley's actions made sense because of her abortion and her mental issues, which wasn't what was on the screen at all. You and I can use that to justify her actions but it wasn't what was written.

I know that.

• Members

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

If anything came out of that storyline I would say it was all those great Nikki/Diane catfights.

I would say Alden was a good writer. Most of what someone else listed (Mac and Glow by Jabot for me) were the things that made me a regular viewer when I was in high school and college...not that Mama didnt start me on it beforehand.

I still get chills from the Tricia in the wedding dress with Victoria cliffhanger when it aired.

And the Nikki/Diane fight at Jabot was EPIC.

Archived