Robin Williams dead from an apparent suicide

cassadine1991

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Heartbreaking. So talented. Both comedy and drama. Good Will Hunting, Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets Society...

The Genie in Aladdin. First time I ever heard anyone talk of an Oscar for voice overs.

• Members

Many creative people have, if not a history of depression, some periods of emotional down times--often times, in order to connect with emotions, one must have access--emotions are very often quite close to the surface.

Looking back now, I'm thinking of how often Robin Williams at times seemed like something of a geyser of emotion, mainly exuberance (sometimes overly so) but I often wondered what was on the other side of that seeming exuberance.

He and Jim Carrey, in particular, often reminded me of the human equivalent of the Comedy/Tragedy mask, that Drama icon that I actually have on my desktop. It really is true that Drama incorporates both sides and obviously Robin's life incorporated both sides but the scales were tipped to one side, it's just sad how far that balance was tipped toward the Tragedy.

He entertained a lot of people but behind closed doors, he was obviously suffering more than most who watched him in the public could ever know.

I don't know what else to say. This is truly sad. What makes a person believe that they have nothing more to give in life, no more purpose?

Archived