Robin Williams dead from an apparent suicide

cassadine1991

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some of the funniest people are also the saddest and most prone to depression and that certainly seemed the case with Robin Williams. If you ever saw him discuss his charity work with St. Jude and Comic Relief or his friendship with Christopher Reeve, you could see that his emotions ran deep, especially the more tragic ones. Kind-hearted people who feel empathy very deeply and suffer depression are some of the most likely to attempt suicide. In other words, it's frequently the good ones.

The one thing that always stood out in all of his performances, comic and dramatic, was his sincerity. I'll rewatch Dead Poets Society as soon I think I can get through it without losing half my body weight in tears.

• Members

I feel somewhat bad because when I thought of him in recent years it was often just to criticize some of his comedy, but today reminded me of just how many people loved him - not just in the industry, but fans. So many people on social media, young people, talking about how much he meant to their childhood.

It reminded me of how much I did love some of his movies of the 80's and early 90's, and how they stand up today.

I hope wherever he is now he sees how loved he was.

• Members

Devastating news. Just reading his thread and the list of movies he did -- Mrs. Doubtfire, the genie in Aladdin (a whole new world!), Good Will Hunting, and so many others where he played against type and really pushed himself to become a respected actor.

So sad about his struggle with depression (I imagine his struggle with drugs were a byproduct of that). Poor soul. I wish he could have found peace in his life.

• Members

Suicide makes people angry. They see it as the ultimate "!@#$%^&*] you." Talk to someone who survived a suicide attempt and they will tell you how much rage their loved ones threw in their direction. Also, trash talking suicides is the way some people try to make it seem like a bad idea so that other people won't consider it. ("If you kill yourself, people will call you selfish and a coward.")

• Members

In times of triumph and tragedy, you can count on some Internet gutter-snipes posting vitriolic and tasteless comments. I've seen a few in comments sections of certain sites (*coughs Yahoo!*) and I try to avoid the comments when I read an article but sometimes I am tempted and always regret reading them when I do.

I did see an interesting comment from a poster who had actually had a suicide attempt and came out the other side. He/she said their thinking was not to give a f-u to the world but that they felt such a burden to their family that they truly believed that if they were gone, as painful as it was, their loved ones' burden would be lifted. I think someone who is in that severe of a state may truly believe this and is not focusing on what a giant hole in people's hearts their absence would leave if they took their own lives.

Some of the people posting online don't know the meaning of the word compassion. They've gotten so used to making crass comments about murder victims and people who are suffering that they are inured to pain now.

• Members

And THAT is the hell of depression. It isolates you and then it lies to you. It tells you that you'll never be happy again, that your pain will go on forever, that you've never done anything good or real or valuable. It destroys your ability to feel love then tells you that you're unloveable.

• Members

I am shocked and devastated to hear about Robin Williams' suicide. My last serious boyfriend commit suicide in July 2008 under the deck at my house. It is a horrendous feeling of loss, but I knew his troubled soul was free. Mr. Williams, from Mork and Mindy to Garp to Mrs. Doubtfire, to the Crazy Ones, I hope your troubled soul is free as well. Tell my Daniel a good Irish joke, you always made him smile!

Archived