Robin Williams dead from an apparent suicide

cassadine1991

• Members

Depression is REAL, SERIOUS and a DISEASE. It hurts me when ignoramuses say that people who either commit or attempt suicide are selfish, stupid, etc. I saw Marie Osmond interviewed on TV some years ago speaking out about her battle with post-partum depression in 1999. She said something along the lines of when someone is seriously depressed, "you don't control anything. It controls you."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is obviously a horrible tragedy.

I am sorry if I am condoning suicide (because I think we should do all we can to discourage our loved ones from doing so), but I can totally understand why someone would choose to commit suicide. As someone who sometimes suffers from depression, suicide seems very appealing when the future looks absolutely hopeless. And though this was definitely not the case for Robin Williams, the future can look absolutely hopeless if one has had a long list of failures in life.

• Members

Saw this article about the harrassing comments that Zelda Williams and her response and the troll phenomenon on the New York Times website:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/technology/web-trolls-winning-as-incivility-increases.html?_r=0

I think Troll is too nice of a term for someone who spews such vitriol as those who posted ugly pictures on Jezebel. I prefer the term I used in my earlier post... 'gutter snipes'.

Archived