WLS on Y&R: Time for Victoria Rowell to Return as Drucilla

• Members

This would have been the best story this show has seen in 10 years. However, no way would Sony or CBS allow this because it would have long range consequences and they wouldn't know how to explain the company away. No way would the Winters be allowed as equals to Newmans and Abbots for the rest of the show's run. They don't mind giving them businesses they can sell with no backlash, Indigo and the GCAC. But no way can Neil sell his own cosmetics company to go back to Jabot. Nor could he be written to give up on it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As well they should be as things stand. They can barely write for white people at this point. I don't believe that people can only write for their own race or gender, but in this specific case, I'd have to say GH would need some AA writers, if they are going to try with AA characters again. I guess I'd take VR on daytime under any circumstances, but I'd much rather see her on Days or B&B.

As for Y&R, I think they are actually trying for the first time in a very long time. They may be failing in some people's view, but I'm enjoying Hilary regardless of who she is paired with. I'm thrilled she escaped Jack though, I was disgusted by that possibility. I used to like Jack, but as a romantic lead he is done and over, imo.

• Members

How you feel about Jack is how I feel about Neil. I can NOT enjoy Hilary paired with him. It turns my stomach, literally. I was fine with Jack as long as it remained a crush and never reciprocated or consumated. I am sure it would have turned my stomach too.

• Members

It's not often that I disagree with you, but on this one, I'm not seeing YR doing well with Hillary at all. She started off really good mixing up with everyone (Jill, Kyle, Jack, Sharon, The Winters, Mason) on the verge of a young passionate love affair with Devon. Now, she's been "Wintered", meaning tossed into the "black stories" with the biggest YR loser as her love interest? How is the latter better for the character? I aint seeing it.

Jack didn't have to be a romantic interest for Hillary, but she could have continued her crush and that would have irritated Devon into taking action. What did we get instead? Ugh!

• Members

It's not just you. It's the truth, and these women can't carry KSJ the way VR did (the real reason VR is not allowed back b/c they don't want black successful pairings). Time for him to go!

This is the route YR takes to make certain the female AA character does not get popular while giving black characters "stories". Some still fall for that old trick.

• Members

What I meant by doing well with Hilary is more that they have a good actress in the role and they've actually cast more black characters than just the Winters. For awhile there things were pretty bleak for AA characters. Now they have several more AA characters and Winter's Wednesday isn't literally true like it was for several years.

I see what you mean about being "Wintered". I completely agree that they should keep the character in a bubble. I won't say that being with Neil is better for the character, but it's better for me as a Hilary fan. I simply cannot bare Jack Abbott these days as a love interest for any character I like. They've taken him for one woman to the next way once to often, nothing sticks.

Ideally, I'd rather Hilary go for a man in her age range, be it Devon, Nick, Cane, even Billy. I guess I don't believe this thing with Neil is meant to last at all. Maybe TPTB will prove me wrong, but I think they're just going for some conflict here between Neil/Hilary and Devon. Maybe because I'm a regular B&B viewer, I don't find that to be such a terrible thing. I believe VR said on her twitter feed that it was done to make Neil/Devon look like savages, but if so, all of B&B look that way, along with Billy and Jack.

• Members

I think Neil might have worked with original Kelly. I would have liked to see him try to help her heal. Not as sure about new Kelly. I can understand why they keep trying to give Neil a romance though. KSJ has put in his time, doesn't he deserve as many chances as Jack has had to make something work?

• Members

On B&B this is the norm. However, they always play out the side that doing this is not normally. Brooke has been known as "the slut from the Valley" for over 20 years. Foe the record, Nick nor Cane are in Hilary's age range. Noah and Kyle are in her age range.

• Members

Oh, I'm with you. Like I said, Kelly would have been a better choice, imo.

I'm white, so I'll ask the perspective of the AA's on the board. Is it possible the female AA audience wants Neil with an AA woman? I'm not even saying they should cater to that feeling, but it just seems like a possibility to me, since TPTB have no problem hooking up Tyler/ Abby and Lane.

OK, but Kyle isn't even on the show anymore. At least Nick and Cane are a lot younger than Grampa Jack and Neil.

• Members

Yes, Neil deserves just as many failed pairings as Jack. However, Jack's pairings are written to last. Neil's are not. Jack is written so we can root for him (the women mistreat him), Neil's has not been (he is the cheater and abuser). Even now, they have Jack in love with Phyllis and hesitant, holding back for the pain it will cause hus daughter and holding out for his love. Neil, on the other hand, chased Hilary and "seduced her" although he was just in love with Leslie. Outright saying he doesn't care about his kids feelings. While the story elements are similar how it is carried it out is different. Jack is the good guy who deserves happiness with a semi appropriate wiman and is struggling to reach for it again. Neil is the horn dog with a woman too young for him who doesn't care who he hurts.

Archived