WLS on Y&R: Time for Victoria Rowell to Return as Drucilla

• Members

I don't mind her Twitter rants because everything she's saying is true. I appreciate that she is brave enough to speak up for others who aren't so brave. She knows it hurts her ability get roles, but right is right.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that's a problem because it makes her look irrational and bitter when she needs to come off looking sympathetic and sane. Majority of the audience that are privy to the backstage antics are (or were) on her side, but how she goes about it is wrong. She's sounding like a broken record and that's my problem. VR needs pull it back, get back in there, be nice for awhile, get back on SONY's good side, and then work with them reasonably about diversifying their production/writing teams.

• Members

If she wrote editorials about racism that people would ignore things would somehow be better?

It's not the messenger people have a problem with. It's the message.

If Debbi Morgan was half as candid as Victoria about her experiences with racism in Daytime ALL of the "goodwill" she's accrued over the years would be gone so fast your head would spin.

People love to throw around the word "crazy" about her yet NOBODY has ever said Tim Stickney was CRAZY for repeatedly being open about his experiences with racism in Daytime.

Ellen Holly is hailed as a LEGEND & isn't called crazy despite her being much more candid about her experiences with racism.

Every other minority soap actor (who isn't Victoria or Ellen Holly) who has spoken about their experiences with racism in Daytime (there have been many) however "tactfully" has gone ignored.

• Members

Then if VR's brash ways aren't working and being tactful isn't working then maybe it's time we leave daytime behind and find greener pastures. TPTB won't change regardless so maybe it's time AA actors and audience place our coins and invest our energy in other avenues.

It isn't VR's message, its how she conveys it. It's ALL that she talks about, and it makes her look bitter. And I never called her crazy, so IDK where you drew that conclusion from. I personally think she's anything but. Passionate would be the word that I would use to define her; however, she needs to get off social media and show instead of tell. She has proper resources to get things done and she has fans (including myself) willing to support. But sitting on Twitter and being on repeat is not conductive to the fight.

• Members

Why is it the oppressed responsibility to change?

Not true.

She discusses a TON of subjects daily.

But of course that doesn't fit into the "bitter" narrative so it conveniently gets ignored.

She doesn't need to do that at all

All you're saying is she needs to stop existing because it inconveniences those who have the privilege of ignoring oppression.

She HAS been working on other projects.

The idea that ALL she does is complain on twitter is a lie used to bolster the "bitter" narrative.

"If those bitter, lazy minorities would just stop complaining & work HARDER all their problems would magically disappear"

If you don't like what she tweets don't follow her on twitter.

• Members

First of all, I am a minority, so you trying to bend and twist my opinion in order to start something is falling flat. It ain't gonna happen and I'm not about to entertain the nonsense.

It's clear that from that start I've said that I wanted VR but she too needs to change ways about how she conducts business. No one is trying to get her to submit to anything, but encourage her to take another route because the one she's using now is old, played out, and not working for her.

And who I follow on Twitter is no one's concern on here but mine. I said what I said and I'm sticking with. I love VR but she does but all she does is talk about Y&R in 95% of her tweets. Anybody that follows her can back that and have stated that numerous times on this board.

Now moving on, I have no problem with her tweeting about wanting change on the show as I agree with her but instead of talking about it, she should be about it. Get off Twitter and make the change. She has the resources to make the change. Do it. We support her. Otherwise, it's white noise and no one will care to listen.

Now what's next....

• Members

I think Rowell has made quite a few good points over the years. I also think that if she'd deleted her Twitter account a few years ago she'd be back on that show by now. Both she and Y&R are their own worst enemies when it comes to keeping her off the show at this point, IMO. The WLS article is absolutely right, but there's more to the issue than that.

• Members

I'm haven't bent or twisted anything you said.

You're the one getting personal. Not me.

No she doesn't.

She still works despite your dislike of her rants.

What you're really saying is she needs to change for you to like her.

When asked what "route" that would be you don't have an answer.

That "route" may not have gotten her rehired at Y&R but it did arguably get a Black writer & several Black actors hired.

It is.

However you don't get to complain about what they tweet if you voluntarily follow them.

Again not true.

But that doesn't fit the "bitter" narrative so the millions of other subjects she tweets about goes ignored.

Anybody that follows her can back that and have stated that numerous times on this board.

She has been about it.

Her advocacy has been well documented for DECADES.

When it becomes that easy for minorities to MAKE change there will be no need FOR change.

Yet you are caring & listening.

Criticize the institution not the individual.

Archived