Y&R: TMZ reporting on Michael Muhney

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm hardly suggesting that any celebrity deserves God-like status (no matter what Beyonce stans would have you believe), but this whole mess makes me yearn for the days when fans and members of the press knew their roles; when celebrities weren't so easily accessible through social media, nor did they care to make themselves so. The crazy cream always rises to the top in these situations, poorly misguided people who feel that they have relationships with these stars. It is so sad and frustrating, maddening, to witness. If MM never had a Twitter, never made his online presence known, he would have just been that guy who played Adam without a single supporter when it leaked that he touched a young lady's breast. Would have sucked for him, but would have kept fans grounded in the reality of the situation without the subjectivity of a "personal" relationship with this man.

• Members

ITA and I think actors who stay off social media and keep their private lives private have the right idea. Being polite and respectful with fans is great but it's a bad idea to encourage them to think that they actually know you personally and have some stake in your real, off-screen life.

• Members

Is it possible that HHK did give permission for her name to be mentioned?

If the only person NB has spoken to about this is MM, then he does not have the whole story.

But, perhaps he has and he does: Will that be in his interview or will it just be more cleverly disguised plucky obfuscation?

"When people show you who they are - believe them." - Maya Angelou

"By their fruits, you shall know them." Matthew 7:20

• Members

I think in many cases stars want the benefits of giving people that illusion. Fans have saved the jobs of at least two soap stars in the last couple of years. It's not a coincidence that soap stars engage more with fans when they are about to go into a tough contract negotiation, either.

My sympathies are limited when people have to take the bad along with the perks of fame. My sympathies are non existent when someone doesn't know when to quit. MM tweeted and got some push back from his costars. It's long past time to get off social media and stop making things worse for himself and others.

• Members

Soap stars were reaching out to fans to cultivate their fan bases for their own purpose long before Twitter. Lots of them had their own Web site/forums, fan clubs, gave interviews to unofficial vocal fan clubs/forums, and did tons of fan appearances outside the official network events. In some cases, these interactions helped save their jobs on the soaps e.g. Rebecca Herbst. In other cases, these relationships blew up in their face e.g. Michael Easton and Deidre Hall and the former fan club presidents. To me the only difference with Twitter is that the actors can reach more fans outside of their devotees. Some actors appear to use Twitter judiciously and others unwisely. Regardless, I think it depends on their ego and need for attention.

Archived