Y&R: TMZ reporting on Michael Muhney

• Members

IA. Billy Miller will not be as huge a loss as people fear, unless David Tom turns out to be Thom Bierdz-terrible in acting terms (which I would be surprised by -- he has the Tom pedigree, he was pretty good as Billy the first time around, and this is his chance to get established again as a working actor).

But Jeanne was a terrible loss and irreplaceable. The best the show can do is acknowledge that Jeanne/Kay loss and play it like it is another character on the show (which they are doing). And of course bringing the fierce Jess Walton to the fore as Jill, Chancellor matriarch.

Beth Maitland is the Abbott matriarch in my eyes, but I would love to see more of her than on the holidays. Rebuilding the Abbotts with already-beloved characters is one of my main new-year wishes for Y&R. And man, what I would give for Ashley to be at Jabot, coming up with new perfumes and flirting inappropriately with the younger males (present family excepted, of course). ED sharing scenes with MTS and EB is great, I love that they pay lip service to that Victor-Ashley relationship, I love that Nikki and Ashley are in a better place now, but she doesn't need to be saddled to Peepaw Mustache. As she proved on Days, ED is way hotter and more vibrant than women half her age and her milkshake brings ALL the boys to the yard!

One final thing -- getting rid of walking black-holes Kevin, Chloe and Chelsea. I appreciate that GR, MCE and EH are leading the support for HHK and that is very admirable, but I am just so deathly bored by these characters onscreen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're not. It's just a desperate attempt to blow this up into some grand affair and conspiracy where anyone else will "pay" for the loss of the Great Man and the facts will be obscured in the "fog of war". Notice how little Muhney or the accusation is mentioned. It's all desperation to deflect the topic.

It's easier and more comfortable for some soap fans - who over-intellectualize their gut feelings, and over-sympathize with the fictional characters, and intertwine actors, particularly outspoken ones like MM, with them in their mind - to create a soap opera plot of their own in their minds to try and justify their conflicted feelings. Because they feel they know Michael Muhney, through his acting onscreen as a character and his stupid twitter account, so he would never do this, in their minds. In this case, it extends to inventing some grand operatic scenario where Eric Braeden, JFP, Angelica McDaniel, Jeanne Cooper, Cesar Faison, Helena Cassadine and Dr. Obrecht all teamed up to remake The Crucible or Othello starring Michael Muhney as the Moor Prince, Mrs. Proctor and Christ all in one. It's a situation where they can comfortably retreat to a distance, weep out of one side of their mouths and beg for mercy for HHK while studiously avoiding discussing Muhney or the accusation HHK made. Just attribute it to "dark forces above."

But it's not real. The facts are the facts. Trying to spin a web is never going to change that.

• Members

Thank you! I watched Y&R back in the early 90s, and I occasionally still read soap magazines, so I know who a lot of the players are but definitely not all of them! :)

It's wonderful to see so many people willing to stand up for Hunter, and as someone else said, perhaps the actors will feel more free to call out some of the fans for their insanity in the future.

• Members

I don't know about that. I think a lot of people are wondering how long these higher ups sat on MM's behavioral issues? How many people was he harassing and was it handled in a timely manner? Some of the reports indicate that HHK was not the only one. If HR procedure was followed than all is well, but the original drop that started all this made it sound like some of these people didn't really do that. If they were trying to sweep it under the rug, then I don't see why they should get a free pass. I also don't think it's deflection. If the people in charge allowed this toxic environment to go on under their noses they should be called to account. Not by fans, but by Sony/CBS. None of this excuses MM in any way, but he has been called to account, that's why he's no longer employed.

• Members

I think some of it is deflection, because some people believe that if it goes high enough, they can say, "Everyone's at fault. Michael was just in a bad environment and he made a mistake." It's about transitioning him from alleged aggressor to alleged victim.

• Members

Yes, exactly. Of a vast conspiracy and a corrupt backstage mentality!

Julia, I don't see anyone ascribing to the above view who's wandering around saying "how could they have sat on MM's sins for so long?" It's more about discussing anyone and anything "suspicious" other than the now well-sourced allegation that Michael Muhney improperly groped a co-star and was fired for sexual harassment.

It's about moving away from the topic. They don't want to discuss what Muhney did or didn't do, and when they do they dismiss it with "oh, that's just what they're saying, but look at the timing! Look at the people involved! Eric Braeden! CBS! Jeanne Cooper! The timing! The frame-up job!"

It's not a frame-up job and it's not a conspiracy. You can dislike JFP's work or what CBS and Sony do with the show or how Y&R may or may not be backstage while still acknowledging that according to reports, Michael Muhney improperly groped a co-star and was fired for sexual harassment.

• Members

I guess I'm reading more reasonable boards then the rest of you. I've hardly read anyone who thinks this is a frame up or conspiracy. Most of them are questioning how long TPTB let this bad behavior go on. Doing that assumes the bad behavior happened.

For me the discussion isn't framed by people like the lady in the basement making her stan videos. Those people are irrelevant and on the fringe. That's why they could only manage to raise $800. I think it's very legitimate to ask if the people in charge handled things correctly when you look what Sharon Rocks dropped and what MM said himself in his interview. Sony and CBS are big companies, when this sort of behavior happens on their watch people are going to ask questions.

• Members

I see what you're saying, but the problem is the fringe people, the ones who make the most noise in the ugliest way, tend to dominate this genre. They are the ones who have taken over most comments on soap websites like DC or Fairman or TV Guide or what have you, they dominate Twitter, etc. To many, they are the only voice.

• Members

It's possible that his behavior was questionable but not so,etching anyone could so much about. They can't reprimand him for tweets on his own time, unless he has a morality clause I'm his contarct and I doubt that. He may have been egotistical but on a set that has PB and EB, what do they do?

Being annoying and outspoken isn't nearly the same as sexually molesting a teenager at work. They may have decided that his being difficult was worth it because he was a hood actor with a big fan base. But that the sexual harassment wouldn't be tolerated. It's also possible he maybe had done things to people who didn't report anything.

It seems to me that this happened, was reported and investigated and he fired. I know there's a lot more to the story, but stripped down I do think it's rather simple. At least from a HR point.

Archived