Y&R: November 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tyler and Abby (Tabby? lol) does not feel like anything of consequence because so much of that insta-pairing happened off-screen. Whereas his attempted seduction of Lily was slow-build on-screen. Lord I cannot stand CK but that was by far her best SL ever -- not this I'm opening a ballet school shtick which was her mother's dream, not her's. Unless Chrystel finally convinced JFP to give her that pole-dancing SL she's been lobbying for so badly?

Redaric Williams and Melissa Ordway don't have a lot of chemistry -- MO had far more with hot-as-sin Ignacio Serrachio, and I'm still holding out hope that he signs a contract one day so that Alex & Abby can happen. MO is growing on me, BTW. I like her as Abby, she just needs a bit more oomph.

Speaking of hot as sin, RW has been nowhere to be seen, and I miss his ice-cream face hotness and amazing chest. Being the thorn in Lane's side had legs so, if ever Abby & Alex happen, Y&R could do worse then having Tyler come in and piss all over Cane's sinister fake-sincerity and whispery creepiness. CK looked like she was drooling whenever she had a scene with RW.

Hilary is one of the best things to happen to Y&R in recent months (along with making Mason a grifter). She has this purring, feline quality and the way she takes her time with dialogue, her little knowing looks she gives people -- it is so vixen! That's why I am over her apologizing to everybody and wearing a hair-shirt to absolve for her sins. I buy that she is sorry but she needs to retain the kitten with her claws. Man, what I would give to have Drucilla (VR) come back (with amnesia -- Brad's been looking after her and they've been having a hot affair -- yes, I have this story all made up in my head -- but she gets her memory back when she sees Phyllis in the hospital where she is working as a helper to the psychiatrist. Anyway, she goes back to GC to reunite with Neil, only Neil's with Leslie now. She lands her old job at Jabot back, thanks to Jill Abbott, and she starts taking a shine to Hilary who reminds her of herself. Of course, good little girl Lily is desperately jealous as a result, so now there is animosity between Dru and Lily... ok, I'll stop now).

Bryton got some good scenes last week, even though it is sad to see Tatiana Ali get sidelined. I haven't noticed the muscles everybody is talking about, but if they are going to give Devon some shade from the usual tunnel-vision do-gooder, I'm happy with that. Mason seething with jealousy and appropriating Devon's credit card actually makes this story somewhat interesting.

So, from watching I would say that there are a bunch of things that JFP really is doing right. Not the all-important music cues, though, but there are SLs and characters I still want to watch, which is unbelievable considering the bore-fest of the last six months.

I still CAN'T with Chloe and Chelsea. When I have my back to the TV, I can't tell who is talking, their Valley squeaks are so interchangeable. Does anybody see any chemistry with Adam and Chelsea? Because I certainly don't.

I know MM is a giant ass walking around with a crown of thorns whipping himself over the method of his acting, but I do like the face-off between him and BM over Delia. BM came alive when he had a scene with Cynthia Watros (has she had work done, btw?). Ironically, Amelia Heinle came alive in her scene with Muhney. When Adam first came to GC, I loved the outright hatred and rivalry between him and Nick and Victoria -- especially Victoria, the mean-girl instigator. I don't want to sound too gross or B&Besque, but the tension between Adam and Victoria should be outright hatred verging on the heavily flirtatious. The real Victoria would instinctively sense that Adam is as competitive and driven as she is, and be completely unsettled by that. Last week's scene did not touch on any of that, but it did establish an interesting dynamic between the two characters that we haven't seen in a long time.

Thank you JFP for cutting Kylebot's hair! Now he looks like the Brooks Brothers WASP that is his birthright. The shorter hair also makes his unfortunate chin less prominent. Bring on the Kyle-Noah rivalry! Lord knows we have to give these two something to do.

Too many scenes with Dylan talking to Avery about memories we never saw happen on screen. I couldn't care less. Avery used to be quirky and flawed and interesting but now she's so perfect and boring. The only time Dylan is interesting is when he catches Nikki mooning over him and he gets this scared look on his face, like, Uh oh, this cougar. I am ok with Nick hating him, even if it is contrived for the Big Reveal.

BTW, MTS looked a hot mess on Friday. Her boobs were sagging out like a bra-strap had just snapped and her hair looked like a rottweiler had chewed it. I expect better for my Nikki! Uh huh, honey! Especially when she's about to have a diva meltdown in public about the son she gave away when she was in a [!@#$%^&*] cult!

Michael talking to Fenmore through the chain-fence is like watching two prison lovers who have been unexpectedly assigned to different cellblocks and now one is jealous about the other playing wifey to the big, tatooed guy on Death Row. Great scene between CLB and JC, though. Sometimes I miss a definitive, OTT character like Gloria. JC played it just right in those scenes, too.

• Members

I also like MO as Abby. She is very dry but it works for her. I still say that Abby needs to lock onto Mason as her new project and fall for him and Victor and Tyler watch on helplessly. It will serve three purposes: 1) Give Abby and Tyler much needed angst and story 2) move Tyler away from Abby with real story because the pairing doesn't work for either character, and 3) give Mason more dimensions...he can be the new Brad.

Love the story with Du's return and lord knows I have thought of many different scenarios for how that could play out...actually I do it every 6 months when the Winters are involved in a story that is missing her presence.

There is so much they could do with Tyler. So much. Don't get me wrong. They have done more with him than they have done with Devon over the last couple of years. Tyler actually has a friendship that we saw develop onscreen. and it is believable. He has had two romantic interests that are core characters although the one with Abby hasn't had any real investment.

MCE and MM has NO romantic chemistry. None. Never had any as far as I could see. It was like watching brother and sister on screen. No. But the pairing became popular for political reasons (Shick fans, Phick fans, Sharon fans, adam fans all had an agenda). Their popularity has little to do with the story or the actors for Chelsea and Adam.

By the way, I agree with your entire assesment.

• Members

Loving Sharon standing up for Summer. Sucks because the relationship will soon be demolished b/c of the Phyllis secret. I really wish the new regime will add a twist to the story & have it be revealed that Sharon didn't switch the results; she blacked out before doing so and woke up believing she did. Summer is really Jack's and Sharon didn't do anything expect toss Redzilla down some stairs, which can easily be swept under the rug.

• Members

I didn't notice until SOD mentioned it, but did yall notice that Nikki found out Dylan was her son OFFSCREEN? This is their main story and these stupid writers forgot to show that on-screen, despite spending weeks with Paul and Nikki going on a road trip looking for her son! :D That is amazing! I guess in light of this I shouldn't be surprised the actual reveal has been so hohum. It just is poorly staged and executed. Trying to make Dylan and Nick rivals is silly and forced and unfortunately, it looks like they'll make Nick the bad guy to further prop Dylan's boring ass.

• Members

Sharon didn't toss Phyllis down those stairs. Phyllis attempted tp stormed off and tripped on her own dress. It was just as mcuh as accident as Dru's death. Which makes it even easier to move on from.

I agree that they should give this story yet another twist in that Sharon didn't do a thing. That she only thinks that she did. Especially now that the uproar of the viewers knowing has passed..and folks are past the story. Viewers hav waited too long for their payoff and have become disinterested.

Lazy writing at it's finest. they have beeb doing that alot. Chloe finding out that Delia was dead was silent through a window. It keeps the writers from having to pen something worthwhile.

• Members

I had been DVR the show here and there with eppys that looked somewhat interesting in the DVR grids....was home today so decided to turn it on....bad mistake....I could care less that Nikki has a son all of sudden named Dylan played by screen hogger and JFP pet Steve Burton. Top that off that we get Joshua Morrow's cheap acting with his huffing and puffing about having a brother. Then we have stale as bread Victoria and newbies I dont know..and you have a quick glance and turn off tv moment for me. Next time I'll watch or DVR that is will be when David Tom returns.

Too bad Y&R never got out of the gutter.

I had been DVR the show here and there with eppys that looked somewhat interesting in the DVR grids....was home today so decided to turn it on....bad mistake....I could care less that Nikki has a son all of sudden named Dylan played by screen hogger and JFP pet Steve Burton. Top that off that we get Joshua Morrow's cheap acting with his huffing and puffing about having a brother. Then we have stale as bread Victoria and newbies I dont know..and you have a quick glance and turn off tv moment for me. Next time I'll watch or DVR that is will be when David Tom returns.

• Members

Thanks for bring that up.: Nikki looked striperish all week... I was pretty certain that she did NOT wear a bra on Monday's show last week as there way too much bouncing cleavage in her scene with Paul.

I'm still torn on the whole Dullan story. It could get the Newmans some INTERESTING mileage as Victor and his spawn is boring me nuts but it is still Dullan. He and Avery are exactly the kind of pairing Bell shows would write out within 6 months as there is absolutely no dynamic left... Considering that this is their first storyline that says a lot. LOL

Ingredients who make this show enjoyable. JILL! HILLARY! SHARON CASE! If none of them is onscreen the episode is usually dry as chalk but the rest can be pretty good, I must admit. The directing has gotten a lot better in recent months (it's stil not good) but the music still sucks.

• Members
I agree. Something must be working ok with the show if it possessed me to write that long-ass post about it. I think it is those three characters you mentioned and the two AA male newbies which have not just brought the Winters back from extinction but also reinvigorated some of the younger set.

I forgot to mention Sharon but some days she is carrying entire episodes. I am rooting for her to come through the other side. Afyer all this time, she remains the tarnished heroine for me.

MTS needs a lovely, wavy shoulder length hairdo and some Armani. Was she subconsciously dressing as her '70s cult jailbait self Friday?

Archived