Y&R: Discussion for the Month of March

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You'd have thought that in the 21st century the writing on Y&R would've evolved enough that they could've made room for a more complex storyline other than a love child tying two people together.

In theory, Phyllis could've had the baby with Jack and still decided she wanted Nick, if they insisted on marrying off Phyllis and Nick. But daytime soaps still labor under those worn out old themes that only having a baby can cement a couple's relationshiprolleyes.gif In any case, it was only a few years until Nick and Phyllis got stale and Nick was back in Sharon's bed (or on the floor, whatever). So that makes it even less 'worth it' for TPTB to have made Summer a Newman.

• Members

But typically on soaps the child is the offspring of the man that the woman does not want to be with or she is tricked into believing that in order to keep the drama going. This is why I was sure that Summer would be Jack's, plus he needed another child, one that was in GC. Yet for some strange reason, LML, Alden, and Griffith, not only made Summer, Nick's, but had him leave Sharon to marry Phyllis. Where was the drama in that? Nick basically emotionally abandoned Sharon and Noah after Cassie's death, got the woman that he was in love with, and a replacement daughter. I thought it was his lowest point, even Victor would never stoop that low and he has done the dirty on various women. Of course, the dumb Sharon/Phyllis fans were fighting over him as if he was a prize.

• Members

Josh Morrow interview:

http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/tv/joshua-morrow-calls-yandr-role-an-amazing-job-as-the-soap-turns-40-1#scpshrtu

Y&R’s got a new executive producer in charge.
I’m an athlete and I take sports very seriously. Jill [Farren Phelps] came in and gave us a very strong, commanding voice as a coach. Now, that style of leadership sometimes rubs people the wrong way. Sometimes people are kind of hanging on to the past but I think we really needed some serious leadership. Some kind of “Shut the eff up, get on your marks and let’s go!” She is no joke. I love her for it. I love [former executive producer and head writer] Maria [Arena Bell] too. I thought she was very nurturing. We got along very well. She did a great job. Even Jack Smith before that. They all really respected Nick and always kept me busy – there’s nothing else I could ask for. They all have different styles of leadership. I really like Jill and Josh Griffith has done a great job writing. I can give anybody the benefit of the doubt, but you come in here and do a good job. That’s all I ask for. I take my job very seriously. I want this show to continue and if it takes these two people to do it, then let’s go!

Archived