Academy Awards Live Discussion

dragonflies

• Members

Jennifer Hudson can sing anything. AIATYING isn't even her song, even if she won the Oscar for that role. That is, and always will be, Jennifer Holliday's song. I'm remined of when Streisand had Holliday (and Donna Summer) sing her songs from Yentl at the Academy Awards. JHud could do similarly.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dame Shirley Bassey still regularly, if not semi-regularly, does concerts. Hers is one of the great voices that has endured over the decades. She is still in very good voice and she is always a first choice when it comes to Royal command performances.

She sounded a little nervous this evening, and Streisand sounded a little under the weather.

• Members

Easily Bassey was the performance of the night and probably what every review of the show will lead with. I love Bassey and compared to mere mortals she is great and easily hits notes nobody else seems to. Comparing her to vintage Bassey though you can hear how words have been shortened in that song, notes flattened a little in part. She saves it all for the end, whereas she used to sing it all big.

Streisand just got through a concert series. Again, she is held to a higher standard than other singers and perhaps that is unfair (same for Bassey). Her voice lost all its power, she has resorted to the Sinatra trick of inserting an extra word in places to mask the fact she isn't going for the long note anymore. The sad fact is Streisand is no longer the best singer in the room. She isn't even second, and for Barbra Steisand that is a steep drop.

• Members

That was probably the first time in years Streisand didn't wear a living room curtain or a female business suit to any public event.

So happy for Jennifer Lawrence, but she was nervous and uncomfortable as hell while giving her speech, I guess tripping on her way up (granted not her first time doing that this award season) didn't help calm her nerves. She's now the second youngest actress to win in the Best Actress category.

I could do without Anne Hathaway's basic, boring, and bad hipster wannabe but really a lame parody ass winning an Oscar, but you can't get everything you want...

• Members

I wonder how much money exchanged hands so that JL could be promoted as "Academy Award Winner..." when Catching Fire comes out? I've seen this girl, and while she's certainly capable, ready to hold that statue as a winner? My god! The bar has been severely lowered.

Last year we had Streep and Davis go head to head, this year, we have two of Hollywood's most overrated children taking home statues? The world has gone mad!

Archived