Academy Awards Live Discussion

dragonflies

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem is Hollywood is about as real as a 3 dollar bill. I found Jessica Chastains whole Mother Teresa, I've been a struggling actress routine she spewed across every magazine and talk show out there completely fake. She may be as genuine as anything, but her entire image just screams manufactured to me. Lawrence seems natural and very unaffected, but then the image makers in Hollywood are as good or better than they are in Washington. So who knows but really who cares. She's an actress. If you enjoy her performances what else matters. Julia Roberts started out with very much the same image but quickly got tarnished when she got involved with Keifer Sutherland and his problems. And it IMO in the end helped her, because the polish wore off and she became more a real person that some all American "natural" girl.

• Members

Yes, this. I've seen Jennifer Lawrence types before in Hollywood and seen what they become. That's why I don't quite buy into it. If it's real, great. I'd just seen too much of it in this awards season and started recoiling.

But that's nothing against her as an actress - I think she's a good actress and I'm more than happy she won an Oscar. Good luck to her in her career.

• Members

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/02/oscars-in-memoriam-2013-snubs-andy-griffith-larry-hagman-phyllis-diller-and-more.html

Scanning through the whole ceremony...

I did a double take at Barbra having her Owl and the Pussycat look. I actually thought she looked great in that movie, just wasn't quite expecting to see it 40 years later. But I liked it.

The sound quality was poor - I could barely hear Adele, and when I could, I wished I couldn't. Shirley Bassey was wonderful at the end of "Goldfinger" but not having all the Bond men was a wasted opportunity, unless they weren't willing to attend.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of having Les Mis actors slowly joining each other to caterwaul in unison. Not a moment to treasure.

I didn't think Anne Hathaway's speech was that bad, really.

The Avengers segment was, very possibly, the most painful, awkward moment I've ever seen on an awards show. I want to forget. Please help me forget.

• Members

There's some little tizzy going on about photos of Jennifer Lawrence smoking pot. Oh the horror.

I kind of hope she gets Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt (both rumored to be, at least at one time, heavy pot smokers) and they all pass around a joint right in front of a sea of reporters.

Archived