Academy Awards Live Discussion

dragonflies

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hathaway doesn't bother me. I gained a lot of admiration for her during that disastrous Oscar telecast where Franco the douchebag basically gave up from the onset. At least she tried.Shes a decent actress not great, but I think as someone said, actresses seem to burn out early because the public gets inundated with them for a few years. This will be Jennifer Lawrence in 5 years. It's happened to all of them,and as soon as the new IT girl arrives, people will tire of Lawrence's so called "natural" persona.

• Members

I think the AH hate stems from her getting alot of great roles and I don't think she comes across phony at all, I think that's the problem people do have with her, is that she seems genuine. I mean someone like Angelina Jolie always comes across as phony to mme, but AH never has

• Members

I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with a person who seems too genuine. :lol: Celebs, like anyone else in life or even on a message board... sometimes people just have a tone that doesn't jive with your sensibilities, just rubs you the wrong way. There are people on this board who I simply cannot understand why and how people "love" and fawn over them. Many would agree with me, while the fans of those posters might think I'm crazy.

For me, there is something a little forced about AH's personality. I don't think she should be vilified for this. She is who she is and we can give or take her.

• Members

Anne Hathaway just gives me this smarmy !@#$%^&*] vibe. There's nothing more to it. I think she's overrated as an actress. I loved her in "the Princess Diaries", "Rachel Getting Married" and "Love and Other Drugs", but often feel she plays every role the same.

• Administrator

Anne is as close to perfection when it comes to Hollywood actresses for me. She does drama, action, comedy, live comedy (she's one of the SNL hosts in the last 5 years), sings, theater. There's not many actresses her age who are versatile, multi-talented, and full of range. She plays characters that are different from one another: young teen princess (Princess Diaries, Ella Enchanted); tough spoiled teen girl (Havoc); sexy spy (Get Smart); a woman out of rehab (Rachel Getting Married); a young British girl from the 18th century (Becoming Jane); a goal orientated woman who has ups and downs in the fashion industry (The Devil Wears Prada); a woman who has Parkinsons (Love and Other Drugs); playing the same character in different eras (One Day); a woman who "is eventually forced by circumstances to become a prostitute, selling her hair and front teeth, losing her good looks and health" (Les Mis) [i copied and pasted that description from wiki because I haven't seen the movie yet); or being an unconventional choice to play Selina Kyle/Catwoman and doing a fabulous job in the role (The Dark Knight Rises).

Aside from her talent, I just love Anne's personality. She's always happy and smiling in interviews, and I just love that huge laughter of hers. I can't help it but smile and laugh with her whenever she laughs. I also like that gets shy-ish whenever someone gives her a compliment - because I do the same thing! LOL Anne is really pretty (with long hair....she needs to grow up her hair and gain back some of the weight she lost for Les Mis) and can be very sexy, though she's not your typical choice when people list their sexiest or hottest celebrities - and I like that about her.

If she's not promoting a movie or being up for awards, she generally stays out the spotlight. She's not hounded by the paparazzi all the time and is rarely in the tabloids. So I don't understand the idea of her being "overexposed." She was seen a lot these past 8 months because she was in two huge movies and was up for all the awards. She's not starring in any movies in 2013 (the only has a tiny part in Don Jon's Addiction) and has nothing slated for 2014 too, so I doubt we'll see seeing/hearing much from Anne now for a while. I hope she takes the time off to have a baby!

I also don't understand disliking someone over what they say in a speech, especially if it's not controversial. "A blunt object over self doubt." I liked that metaphor. And she can't have any self doubt even though she's been very successful? "It came true." I guess she's not suppose to admit that winning an Oscar was a dream of hers. Or she isn't suppose to say that in her speech?

And anyone who says "blerg" is cool with me. :) Okay, so that's my whole little thing about my love for Anne Hathaway.:wub:

As far as Jennifer Lawrence, I really like her too. But I can unfortunately already see the hatred coming for her (especially from those who scream "OVEREXPOSED!" or "[insert celebrity] is every where!") and I think it's only going to get worse in the next year and year after. She has at least 4 movies coming in 2013/2014, so she's going to be doing a lot of press for that, plus 2 of those movies are huge franchises (X-Men and Hunger Games). I can also see her becoming the new #1 (or at least top 5 )target for the paparazzi and tabloids. She's young, beautiful, talented, an A-lister - she's ripe for the picking. I hope she will be able to handle this because her rise to the top was very quick.

As lastly,

Oscars2013_Day05_11176_77-20.jpg

:wub:

• Members

Honestly, I think part of the reason people just do not like Hathaway is, IMO, she proves that just because you attempt to do a variety of roles, it doesn't mean you're good or a better actress for doing them.

I don't see any supposed range, and I do not think she has an ounce of charisma as an actress. Her acting often feels very forced and as if there's some desperate attempt to want people to believe she's versatile, when she's not and does not have the acting prowess to pull it off.

• Members

You hit THE nail!

I don't care one way or the other about either one, but both are mediocre at best and we keep hearing all of this crap that won't change that neither should be holding that statue. They are the chosen ones right now, along with that pale ass no talent, Emma Stone, so we have to hear about these simple heifers and that makes people "hate" them.

• Administrator

But it was awards season so you are obviously going to see those praises - plus they were winning practically every award. And Anne was in two hugely successful movies where critics and most people really liked her in those roles. Where were those constant praises during One Day, or Bride Wards, or Alice in Wonderland, or Valentine's Day? There was hardly any, if any at all because those movies weren't considered good or up for awards. I thought Anne was pretty good in One Day and did a fine job on the rest.

Anne does very well in variety of roles though. I think when you go from playing Catwoman/Selina Kyle to Fantine and there's an overwhelming positive reviews for both roles, it shows a lot of range. She had to win both roles, they weren't just given to her. It's really amazing when you go from Christopher Nolan to Tom Hooper to Spielberg (though she won't get to work with Spielberg anymore cause "Robopocalypse" is being postponed). Those are pretty big directors.

• Members

If I'm not feeling someone, there's no big agenda involved. They just rub me the wrong way. I can think of a few celebs who I really liked and never would have been critical of before I saw them in interviews or "just being themselves" (see the hosts of The View). If I can meet a stranger at a party and pick up on something that I don't particularly like, I can do that for a celebrity too. And sometimes my opinion changes, for the good or bad. Used to really dig Kanye's music but now I can't separate the unsavory aspects of his personality.

• Members

Reviews seemed very mixed from what I saw of her of her as Selina Kyle, and of course, I hated her in the role. Though, the movie itself was very underwhelming to me.

There's something very calculating about Hathaway's approach to her career and acting that I just don't buy or see anything special about it. She's not a terrible actress, but she's just very ordinary with no special star quality - she isn't someone I would want to see carry a film. She's lucky she has a Supporting Actress Oscar, because I never see her actually winning one in the Lead category.

Archived