Academy Awards Live Discussion

dragonflies

• Members

I think the article said "America's new sweetheart" was smoking pot, which sort of made me laugh, because I think just about every one of America's former sweethearts has probably smoked pot, at least the Sandra/Julia/Meg era. Maybe even Mary Pickford did. Of course that's just my guessing.

She said she won't talk about it because she's in a franchise, and I get that, but anyone being upset about it is just silly to me. I could understand it a little more when the press tried to cause a commotion about Bieber, but even then, I wondered why they cared more about pot than about some of his fans cutting themselves in his name.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, I'm not some pot head, contrary to my earlier post, however, it just makes me hungry (obviously), gives me giggly fits, and amazingly horny. Cigarettes are disgusting though, except to have that one smoking friend because you meet the coolest people hanging around smokers.

As for J-Law, what's the second francise JP?

• Members

There's a certain phoniness that I don't care for. It seems like there is something very studied, contrived about her words, whether in "spontaneous" interviews or on awards shows. At the Golden Globes, when she thanked THFP for her "blunt object that [she] will forevermore wield as a weapon against self-doubt"...

yuck_imdone.gif

Then it seems like she got word of the reaction to her Globes speech and she overcompensated with her Oscars speech giving this (unconvincingly) soft, sweet, innocent, "gee whiz" kind of speech. I don't hate her by any means, though.

• Members

I thought the Oscars speech was a big step up, aside from "it came true," which I rolled my eyes at. I do think she's in a better position than Gwyneth Paltrow, because I just don't believe the public ever liked Gwyneth at all (I don't think she ever carried a highly successful movie, did she? Hathaway at least had the Princess Diaries movies), but she's in that awkward stage where she's aging past her persona.

• Members

Honestly, I know Hathaway more from her talk show appearances than from her actual work. I enjoyed her in Rachel's Getting Married. I was not at all impressed with her in Brokeback Mountain. Never seen the Princess Diaries. I'm "new" to the Gwyneth hate, I didn't even know that it existed back then. She doesn't bother me besides a few small moments that have made celeb gossip news.

• Members

There was a lot of Gwyneth hate at the time, especially her Oscar dress, and what many saw as a pseudo-intellectual, fakey persona. I can sort of see the similarities with Anne, although with Anne I think it's more that she was just everywhere too quickly. There are very few actresses in major roles now - she shouldn't have been playing so many major roles that she may not have been suited for. Hollywood needs more actresses, and a more diverse range, more star quality. It's been too male-dominated. You end up with Katherine Heigl in major roles, and nothing against her, but I don't think that was ever going to carry a film.

• Members

Actresses always get more hate and there is a certain image that seems to garnish more. The worst haters of women are women and gay men. I wish I could find that article from The Atlantic on this subject and how the worst misogyny offenders come from these 2 groups.

Anne Hathaway was overexposed this year and in another year it will be gone. The Internet "columnists" always want to seem to make a story about nothing. But heck even Streep, in the days before the internet, after she broke through, went through years after being the fresh young talent to the too mannered actress who can only do accents.

• Members

I cannot stand Anne Hathaway or Gwyneth Paltrow. To me, they are cut from the same pretentious cloth, the only thing I'll give Gwyneth is that she had the intelligence to do the Avengers/Iron Man movies that puncture her pseudo-intellectual, faux-Londoner bullsh*t persona.

Anne Hathaway's Golden Globe 'blunt instrument' speech and her follow up 'it came true!' at the Academy Awards were beyond annoying, may her career be all used up faster than a piece of cake at Oprah's house.

Archived