Retcons and Rewrites

• Members

For some reason I'm thinking that Ed did mention Bill a couple of times during his more tumultuous times. And, again, for some reason I'm thinking all he did was pontificate about how he didn't want to follow his father's example. Which, actually, he wound up following nearly to the letter, short of actually faking his own death.

Mike was definitely my preferred of those Bauer brothers.

As for Joe, Junior, it's not Steinmetz's fault he's a better actor than Benard or Burton and therefore the GH fans latched onto him as a possible replacement for those two tired, violent, disgusting "leading men" GH has been pushing for the past decade.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that's before my time. What was that about?

Then again, technically, the Bill Bauer stuff was also before my time.

Ironically, my first retcon was the first soap story I paid attention to. I will never forget hearing and seeing, at the tender age of about eight, my grandmother and my aunt jumping off the sofa screaming, "He fell off a CLIFF in Santo Domingo! We SAW HIM HIT THE GROUND! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, IDIOTS?!"

• Members

saynotoursoap will remember it better than I can, but I think Leslie's mother, Victoria, mostly seen as a painting on Stephen Jackson's mantle, was supposed to have died when Leslie was born. Instead she came back after Leslie married Mike, wearing a veil, or something. I think Stephen had paid her to leave town. Not sure what happened the second time.

• Members

I always say it, i know, but - i loved the Maryanne story on GL. I 100% understand why its hated, i agree its absolutely ridiculousness and goes against so much established history, and it should not have been done - but man, it was a great story! It felt like a mini-series. The woman who played her was great and I loved the way the story connected all these fathers and daughters.

• Members

I agree! I lobster-loved that storyline and overall I LOVED Ellen Weston's GL. It was so exciting. I understand she didn't respect history and all that, but I was entertained. I hated GL after she left until the very end. Not saying she was the answer to all the problems, but she was entertaining. After that it just was so dull and too serious and then Peapack was horribly executed.

• Members

I have to mention this because it's the type of needless, smug, silly rewrite which has wrecked the British soaps as much as it previously did US soaps.

On Coronation Street, Betty Turpin worked at the local pub for over 40 years, mostly as a cook and a barmaid. She worked for a wide variety of landlords and ladies, one of them being her very best friend, Bet Lynch. When Bet left the show, a key plot point was that the main overseers of the pub, Newton and Ridley, were selling the pub. If Bet couldn't afford to buy it, then she would have to leave within a few weeks.

Bet begged and pleaded for the money, destroying some of her closest relationships in the process. She finally left, without any real goodbye to anyone, clearly heartbroken. This was a very prominent story - Bet was one of Corrie's most iconic characters.

Well, about 15 years later, Betty died, and the producers decided to be clever and claim that she had been the secret owner of the pub for decades, preferring not to tell anyone.

So this cute little rewrite meant that Betty had watched her best friend grovel, beg, and slink out of town, all while she had the power to simply hand the pub over to Bet.

I hated it. I always will.

• Members

I could have accepted that Maryanne Carruthers story if even one of those men had had a gap in his history in which the story could have been woven. Or if it HADN'T ALREADY BEEN TOLD with the FATHERS of three of the same men already. Or if one of the men involved wasn't ALREADY in Springfield in 1977 with an eight-old son and a decade-long marriage. Or if the Lewis Boys weren't safely ensconced in TULSA at the time (again, 19-freakin'-77!). Or if anyone had bothered to mention that Frank "Achilles" Buzz Cooper had been around at least ONE Founders Day to Frank and Harley from 1988-1992!

Ellen Weston's GL was lazy, and unimaginative, and laughed in the face of ANYTHING that came before it.

While I still think Wheeler could have made more of an effort to get Amanda OR Alan-Michael back for Alan's grand finale, I can (just barely) live with what happened.

The Carruthers story is non-canon to me, because it makes NO SENSE and if anyone had ANY respect for GL history, they would have stopped that laughable excuse for a "story" in its tracks.

• Members

Oh I agree with you, but that was one of the first stories I saw on Guiding Light so I didn't know the history of the show. All I knew is that it was a juicy story and I was entertained. Now if it were one of "my" soaps then I probably would've been pissed, but I still enjoyed it.

Archived