Retcons and Rewrites

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that doesnt change the fact that its a strong candidate for this topic, least favorite rewrite/retcon. Completely unnecesary and done for the altar that is the boring and awful Daniel (and his just as bad pairing with Jennifer). Not to mention it negates a story that came before and after all this time, it seems pointless to revisit. I hate all the retcons done to try and make this character work. He's a flop

• Members

Obviously the "Jill is Kay's daughter" thing on Y&R was a huge mistake. And they let it go on way too long. They even seemed to realize they had messed up but didn't want to embarrass themselves by re-writing their re-write, but it was the type of band-aid that needed to be ripped off and never mentioned again (Principal Tanzarian.)

• Members

What about Tina being rewritten as being a horrible mother to CJ and Sarah when Flash first came to town? That just seemed wrong.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind Max pretending he was Asa's son again, after Gabrielle had already found out years before (when she & Max were still married) that he wasn't and tried to make it seem like he was anyway. But I guess that last one isn't so much a retcon/rewrite as it is stupid on Max's part.

• Members

I loathed the Victoria Ballinger story, but actually enjoyed Bill Bauer's return. The audience rejected Bill's story primarily because it made Bert the cuckolded wife once again. However, if you could overlook the implausability of it, it was a dramatically sound plot that pushed Bert and the Bauers to the forefront again, and was absolutely rife with familial conflict. The Dobsons were my favorite writers ever of GL. Had they executed the story a bit differently, I am confident it would have worked.

I do not consider Victoria's return a true rewrite or retcon because not much was ever mentioned of her other than passing references to her dyimg shortly after Leslie's birth. In my opinion any writer had a clear field to later develop any plot surrounding those circumstances.

The plot as aired was excruciatingly slow, tedious, and in my opinion somewhat pointless as there was not a true dramatic fallout to any of the proceedings.

In mid-1973, Steve received a mysterious overseas phone call just as Mike and Leslie were to marry. We learned that he had been contacted by "Victoria". There was an extreme closeup of Stefan Schnabel's face. "Victoria?" he whispered. "But...you're supposed to be...dead." The organ music swells and the scene fades to black. When Victoria arrives, it is quickly explained that she was much younger than Steve, somewhat immature and bored being the wife of an overworked, distracted, absentee husband. Victoria took a lover, Benjamin Wilkes, and they planned to run off together. Victoria was to take a holiday cruise. She boarded the boat then departed to meet Benjamin. The boat set sail, capsized in a storm, and Victoria was reported dead. She told Steve that she had decided to leave Ben and return to her husband and daughter, but she was ashamed at what she had done and felt they would be better off without her. Now, in 1973, she wanted to see how Leslie had grown into a woman and to get a brief glimspe at her grandchild Freddy (Rick). Steve did not trust her and harbored ambivalent feelings about her presence. However, he decided to pretend that she was an old friend from Europe, Madeline, and once he had time to set up her fake persona, she could then meet Leslie under that pretense. Victoria agreed, but the second Steve was out of the picture (back in Cedars with the heart ailment that hospitalized him the previous winter) Victoria sought out Bert and befriended her. She then tricked Bert into inviting Leslie over, which gave Victoria an "excuse" for breaking Steve's promise. Episode after episode, for months and months and months, detailed Victoria's attempts to get closer to Steve by winning over Leslie and the Bauer family. Literally about nine months into the "story", it was finally revealed that Victoria had a secret lover named Alex stashed away in a European sanitarium. His accommodations and treatments were very expensive. Victoria needed to make Steve fall in love with her again so that she could get her hands on his money to pay Alex's sanitarium bills. Her scheme was quickly exposed to Steve and Leslie. Steve told Victoria to get out of their lives. Leslie praised her father and villified Victoria. As a parting gift on her way back to Europe, Victoria informed Leslie that Steve was not such a paragon of honesty himself since he had lied to Leslie for her entire life -Steve was not Leslie's father at all. Her real father was Benjamin Wilkes. Leslie confronted Steve, who could not deny the truth. Leslie said she never wanted to see him again. They were estranged for a few a months and then it was all forgotten. No drama. No conflict. No lingering effects on the families. It was all much ado about nothing. Switching Leslies midway through the plotline did not help either.

• Members

It sounds to me as if TPTB at P&G and GL realized they had a dud on their hands with that story. Hence, the sudden -- and judging from saynotoursoap's description, awkward -- revelation about Victoria's institutionalized lover.

• Members

Another rewrite - I guess it wasn't technically a rewrite, but anyway, I thought was kind of stupid, and obvious, was Liz saying she'd never had an orgasm until she slept with Nik. She'd been with a number of men and had seemingly enjoyed sex with all of them, and yet now she was saying no one had ever done it for her until she basically did it with The Thing, who probably fell asleep on top of her.

Archived