Retcons and Rewrites

• Members

1. I'd hardly call groveling at the roided goiter's feet as an improvement over being made to look stupid next to him. As far as I'm concerned, both served as equally crappy writing for Lucky Spencer.

2. While the whole 'rutting like farm animals' takedown of Liz and Nik was music to this JJ Lucky fan's ears (after watching the character get punked out repeatedly by damn near everyone from his woman to his family to the residents in town), it was a short-lived victory because I was subjected to a year-and-a-half of my beloved JJ Lucky being constantly victimized instead of being allowed to move on the way that he should've after he found out about that his woman and half-brother rutting like farm animals.

3. While I'll agree with you that TG connected with JJ in a way that he never did with Larry (which I attribute to the latter not having any acting talent for TG to bounce off of), it still doesn't change the fact that showkiller Guza completely and purposely ruined JJ Lucky's return in order to keep the lie about Luke never wanting to be a father (or husband) going. Whatever enjoyment that I had in watching TG and JJ masterfully portray their characters in scenes together was destroyed by the horrendous writing - the final straw being Luke essentially conveying that he didn't love his pleading son enough to get better for him.

4. Since I've made my preference for JJ's Lucky known many times, I'll just add that the reason why Larry never made any impression on me was because he never once acted like the son of Luke and Laura during his time on the show. It didn't help that Larry had the personality of a box of hair - something that I'm sure showkiller Guza took advantage of many times by writing him as a buffoonish loser that Liz was settling for while pining for the roided goiter. Showkiller Guza had the perfect opportunity to bring Lucky Spencer back to the cool, smart, and hip character that many (including myself) fell in love with back in the 90s - especially since JJ still had chemistry with TG, RH, and TC in a way that Larry never did - but chose to continue shitting on his character and his relationship with his father (a relationship which, unlike LL2, was worth salvaging at that point).

5. As for any backstage grudges that TG may have had against Larry, I'm more interested in knowing why he was stanning for NP over Larry since day one even though they had the same acting skill (next to nil).

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Much of the writing that so many did handstands over in JJ's first Guza run involved him constantly yelling and crying, and treating his mother like a whore. He was also distanced from Luke over time, with the two reconciling mostly because JJ was leaving the show.

Laura wasn't around to be slut-shamed when JJ came back, but Liz took her place, and many fans cheered. JJ had much of the same material as he'd had the first time around - a "grey" Lucky, endless tension with Luke (albeit much bleaker this time around), a lot of crying and yelling.

The idea became that JJLucky would reach paradise if only he didn't have Liz around his neck, if only he had more time with the dullard who couldn't even fake an Irish accent, if only, if only. That just made me laugh when JJ left and said he was disappointed that Liz and Lucky didn't get to have more of a chance. Apparently he knew that saying a woman is only worthwhile if she's bleeding to death from a rape was not the masterwork Guza and some fans thought it was.

I think his return mostly showed that Lucky was always an overhyped character, built on nostalgia. I had little nostalgia for the late 90s GH, so I guess I had less faith to lose.

• Members

Simpy put, all the elements were there to build the Lucky Spencer character back up to prominence with JJ's return - the original and superior actor reprising his role, along with the chemistry between RH, TG, and TC that was as strong as ever - and yet showkiller Guza chose to ignore that in favor of an arc that ultimately drove me away.

I'd buy that this had to do with showkiller Guza/cryptkeeper Frons' hatred for Liz/ambivalence for RH IF they bothered to provide JJ Lucky with a legitimate chance to move on from her, but he didn't. Oh, sure, they teased him with Minnie Mouse Storms and Maya (who I'd have much rather seen with him over fuckery that was her and Ethan) - both of whom (in spite of my loathing of Minnie Mouse) he had chemistry with. Showkiller Guza also introduced Siobhan - who I actually liked for the simple fact that she was a fresh breath of air from Liz - but never bothered to do jack with her and Lucky as a couple because he wanted to have his cake and eat it, too.

The result was JJ finally getting fed up and leaving and as much as I'd love to see him again, I don't blame him a bit if he chose to never return (even with this improved version of GH and a promise of better writing for him). He, like KMc before him and VM after him, were sold the moon and the stars as a means of luring him back to the show, only to get hoodwinked with sh!t writing for his character.

Archived