Retcons and Rewrites

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She wasn't there. She was dating Richard Fields at the time (which is how she became pregnant with Trey) and heard gossip but didn't know for sure. But she felt something was up with Fields and gave Trey up to keep him out of his life. It wasn't until years later when Vanessa was trying to do an expose on Erica that she looked up the court transcripts when she went on trial for stabbing Dimitri with the letter opener that she realized the gossip was true. But she wasn't there. She just put two and two together.

• Members

Thanks, R, for correcting me! Admittedly, I'd only heard Vanessa had been there the night of Erica's rape. I'm glad to know that, for once, AMC exercised a little restraint.

(By the by, R, glad you're back!)

• Members

At least David did have a huge obsession with Dixie so I can sorta justify him having someone watch over her and getting her body or whatever. I'm of two minds of this story. Rationally I hate it--so non AMC storytelling to me. But I did think *some* of it was written well (David with Angie, sorta trying to redeem David in a way), and I admit I loved some of the returns (who was the extra body?), which were nice for the finale. But...

• Members

I wish all the ones who'd been resurrected for the finale had returned instead as apparitions intervening at critical moments in the lives of their loved ones. A little too "Touched by an Angel," perhaps, but certainly more believable than "Valley of the Walking Dead."

• Members

You're welcome, Khanny :wub: Missed flirting with you, boo! ;)

But, no, I've heard the "Vanessa was there" theory being hustled around for years, but that wasn't the case. Vanessa made some comment to Erica about "Richard never wanted me. He'd rather have some little girl in a party dress!" Erica was suspicious that Vanessa knew about the party dress and assumed she was there or that Fields had told her about what happened, but Vanessa told her that she gained that information from the transcripts. At least, that's how I remember it, because I definitely would've taken issue with Richard Fields, Eric AND Vanessa all being in on knowing this little girl was raped. Believe me, I would've used that to further stone McTavish and Culliton (whose head writing stint I hated).

• Members

As would I. wink.png

Imagine, though, if the "Vanessa was there" theory had been true. How many more people would have claimed to have been there had the show kept revisiting that story? Perhaps Goldie was there, too, brainwashing reading a bedtime story to little Silver while Erica was downstairs screaming and begging for her life? Or maybe Lars and Kent Bogard stopped by the house, saw Richard Fields going down on poor Erica, and began hatching their sinister plan ("If she's so good that even ol' Richie Fields can't resist, then you KNOW we gots to tap that ass!")?

Pretty soon, it's less like ALL MY CHILDREN and more like "The Accused," with everyone from La Kane's past standing and watching and cheering them on.

• Members

See, I thought she followed Fields that night and saw him go into Eric's house because she told Erica that he wanted the little girl in the pink party dress or something along those lines, and Erica was stunned because the only way Vanessa could have known what she was wearing was if she'd seen her that night, and she realized that Vanessa saw Richard attack her but chose not to intervene or help her in any way because she was jealous that Richard preferred pre-teen girls to her.

Archived