Retcons and Rewrites

• Members

Another one from AMC that irked me: everyone is alive! Okay, I understand righting the wrong that was the killing of Stuart, but this idea that David could be anywhere he needed to be in order to keep someone from dying - even someone like Zach who was blown up in an airplane explosion - is just ridiculous. The peak of absurdity for me was having Dixie be alive AGAIN. Come on - the woman already died ONCE on the show and came back. We SAW HER DIE in the hospital, and David was halfway across the world when it happened. Having her be an Orpheus patient was just stupid.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't say the writing was similar. Lucky was immediately put in a central role. He became the aggressor in his relationship with Liz, instead of being a dunce. He even got to tell her she was only worthwhile when she was bleeding after a rape, which is a line Guza wouldn't give to anyone but his favorites, most likely. He then got a new love interest, an adventure, a big showcase with Jake's death (another Guza thumbs up, since he'd made it clear through Luke that Lucky should not be raising another man's son). The writing sucked because Guza sucked, not because of any issues with JJ. JJ left apparently because he was overworked, tired of depressing stories, and upset over L&L2 not being reunited.

• Members

GH: That Sonny never loved Brenda as much as Carly, Kate and a host of other Brenda substitutes. Bitches please.

Similarly, that Luke never truly loved laura, that he hated being a father to Lucky and Lulu, that he had illegitimate children coming out of his ears, and that they just got in the way of his binge-drinking. Again, bitch please. I know what i saw on screen in the 80s and 90s.

Y&R: Jill is Katherine's daughter -- oh, no, now she's Lauren's sister! Jill is and should always have remained a Foster -- Liz Foster's child, Snapper's sister. The fact that she was viewed as an interloper into the Chancellor and Abbott families is core to Jill's character.

• Members

YES. That was such an unnecessary retcon. Eric Kane was bad enough as it was - the story in the early 90s was that he'd apparently forgotten her birthday and then his friend Richard Fields showed up, got Erica drunk and brutally raped her. Even in the 90s TPTB couldn't decide exactly how Erica handled it with her father - at one point she told Kendall that she never told her father what had happened. When she testified during her trial for stabbing Dimitri, she said that she DID tell her father but that he didn't believe her and told her that if anything happened with Richard Fields, it was all her fault. The second part - about him claiming it was all her fault - would actually be in line with the idea that he knew it would happen, but it didn't make sense then that Erica would KNOW her father caused this entire horrific scenario that led to her giving birth at 14, but would then WANT contact with him as a teen. In the show's early years, a teen Erica DID have contact with her father via telephone and was eager for a relationship with him.

• Members

I think that's the only way to justify Erica wanting anything at all from Eric after what had happened to her. Erica looked at Eric's rejection of her story as a rejection of her, so she chose to block out psychologically the rape and pregnancy and continue her pursuit of her father's undying devotion.

• Members

I believe that it was very similar because like Larry before him, JJ Lucky was portrayed to be lesser than the roided goiter. Only difference is that while Larry was the loser in the atrocious 'triangle' between him, Liz, and that jackass, JJ Lucky was portrayed as the loser who practically begged the roided goiter to raise his son (i.e.: the very biological son that that assh0le couldn't be bothered to leave his thug life for) because he was too weak to do so.

Furthermore, like Larry before him, JJ Lucky (in spite of that wonderful 'rutting like farm animals' speech) was never truly allowed to move on from the toxicity that LL2 had become under showkiller Guza. While each had other women (Sam and Siobhan, respectively), each pairing was never treated seriously because the possibility of a reunion with Liz was always lurking over those couples' shoulders.

Lastly, I found the shiteous writing of both Larry and JJ Lucky's relationships with Luke to be similar, in that Luke portrayed nothing but contempt for both (a.k.a.: another reason why I gave up on this show). While Luke gleefully found a replacement with the plot point named Ethan while never hesitating to let Larry know that he was a failure as a son, Luke cruelly told JJ Lucky that killing his son was "liberating".

While JJ may have left because of being overworked, being tired of having to play out depressing crap, and being hoodwinked by TPTB, it was clear to me as a JJ Lucky fan that showkiller Guza had plenty of contempt for him (just as much as Larry, in fact).

• Members

Yes, but Luke saying Jake dying was a good thing was not written as anything to be upset over. That was supposed to be the truth, IMO. That's how Guza saw it. Jake was there for Jason angst, never any other reason.

Before JJ left the show in 1999, they had him becoming closer to Jason. When he returned, the same happened.

Guza was trying to write from a place of love. It's disturbing, but I think he was honestly trying at something positive. In Guza world, that is very, very frightening.

• Members

To be clear, my disgust at this isn't out of any love for the plot point of a kid or the couple that produced it - it was and is about the fact that Luke and JJ Lucky's relationship went to complete and utter sh!t because showkiller Guza had written Luke as so completely despicable that he'd say that to the apple of his eye. One of the reason why I'd fallen in love with GH in the first place is because of the Spencer family dynamic (which included the undeniable love that Luke had for Lucky) and I was hoping that it'd be recaptured with JJ returning back to the role ten years after he'd left. One of the best father-son relationships in soaps was completely destroyed precisely because showkiller Guza had zero respect for Lucky Spencer as a character - even with JJ Lucky reprising the role - or his relationship with his father.

As for JJ Lucky's early relationship with the roided goiter, I never got the sense that he was in awe of him in the way that he nauseatingly seemed to be from 2009-2011. Back then, IMO, he saw Jason as a work-in-progress example of how to forge his own path in the wake of being estranged from his parents (much like the roided goiter had rejected his family). During his last stint, he - along with damn near the entire town - saw him as an infallible deity who was the only one that was strong enough to parent his son.

• Members

VH, I really believe TG wanted to detach himself from LL completely. I really do. I don't think he wants that solely as his legacy. When you look at it,

that is all Genie has. I don't believe many want to see her as anything other than Luke's Laura. Tony wants to make sure that does not happen to him.

• Members

By the way, another retcon or rewrite to Erica's rape that I didn't care for was how we learned, after I don't remember how many years, that Vanessa had been there that night and saw it all occur. Really, AMC?

Archived