Y&R: Discussion for the Month of September

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew that she was playing 16, but I was pretty sure she was at least 18. (I know the general pattern is for young actors to portray characters that are several years younger than they are. Witness Beverly Hills, 90210 or Dawson's Creek.) I apologize if I offended anyone.

• Administrator

She's 18? Okay that makes me feel a bit better! LOL I agree with Max that she's really impressive. I remember one scene from a few weeks ago where she walked down the stairs wearing this extremely tight shirt and my jaw just dropped. I think she's going to be really stunning when she's in her 20's.

• Members

This show is really dragging on all levels. I want to enjoy Sharon telling the smug Newman twits exactly what she thinks about them but I know that in a few days it will likely be thrown in her face if/when Big Poppa returns to make things all unicorns and rainbows again. rolleyes.gif

The Victor/Champion of the Proletariat SL is such a bore, I imagine Sony/CBS screened the early rushes and MAB was fired for this tripe alone.

I couldn't care less about the so-called younger set. Kevin should have been written off years ago, and Chloe is such a vile, unpleasant character, I can't believe I was ever a fan of the dead-eyed, glib Liz Hendricksen.

The non-story between Eden and Kyle is lazily slapped together, written by people who know nothing about "kids" today. They just assume they are a bunch of nasal-voiced idiots who "hook up." Watching Eden, Kyle, Summer, Fen etc. parrot a bunch of subpar "yoof" dialogue is so painful. Have these people never watched shows like, I don't know, I Used to Be Fat? I'm not saying Y&R needs a weight-loss SL, I'm saying a show like IUTBF shows how a real teenager speaks, what they care about, how they take control of their lives, and this might actually inspire the writers to create a younger set that isn't replete with non-entities or half-baked archetypes.

There was a scene a few days ago where Chelsea, Lily and Chloe sat in Crimson Lights -- with their puppies -- waiting for their Big Bad Men to hammer out a business deal. I had thought Chelsea and Chloe would be part of that negotiations but I guess women know their place on this show! It was kind of dispiriting to watch Chels and Chloe trade inane barbs and show off the jewellery their significant other's gave them. It just felt completely divorced from anything I can relate to or, indeed, anything Y&R used to resemble (when Jill, Ashley, Nikki, Dru and others would be right there in the board meetings, fighting their corner).

• Members

Not gonna lie. It felt good to let it out.

I've been watching 1984 episodes of Guiding Light on YouTube (I've never seen them before) and they have these great younger characters interacting with the veteran cast, Philip, Mindy, Rick, Beth and Lujack, and these characters have real layers and depth to them. So when I watch Y&R's soulless young set, the comparison is especially stark.

Archived