Guilty Pleasure Soap Couples

• Members

Yeah I could swallow TSJ's Todd/Victor and Marty. It was probably down to the fact that I really felt TSJ's Todd changed and was a completely different character so I got it more. Add in the fact that Marty was sympathetic to Todd and said that she couldn't see him ever raping someone again and it was just more believable that something could come from it. The Blair fake rape really helped Marty and Todd's relationship IMO. I could never imagine RH's Todd with Marty though, the rape was just too real to even imagine them together and the fact that he was so disgustingly unrepentant originally and dragged her threw that trial. That he made her get on the stand and relive that torturous night was just so far beyond that I could never forgive Todd for that. It was unimaginable to me to pair him with Marty once I saw that storyline.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Changed as in you mean going compltely insane? Todd LOST his damn mind during that storyline. He definetly did not change for the better as he was having a mental breakdown and became obsessed with her. He was changing for the worst in that storyline. Ive said it before but I think OLTL should have killed him off. They went too far in crossing the line there. I felt RH's Todd had was more beleivable with Marty bc at least when they were writing that story, Todd had a semblence of a conscience bc he could think rationally. He knew when he did wrong; he just didnt care. When they revisited this under TSJ, we a crazy man take advantage of a sick woman and I found that more creepier. He had no notion that he was in the wrong and created this fantasy world where he thought his actions were justified

• Members

Poor Sandy got thrown under the bus for Tammy and Jonathon not because of Jonathon but because of Tammy..he and Jonathon had a smoking sex vibe going on when Jonathon first came on the show..the only person the Sandy actor had any chemistry with was Jonathon. I remember when TP first came on the show and he was smoking hot in a trashy, "Uh, leave by morning and we will never mention this again" kind of way, he and Sandy had some antogonistic taunting scenes, (including Jon climbing on Sandman's bed and getting on top of him) that Sandy's eyes popped even more then they did before (and from the looks of it, I think other things were popping too.) A triangle with Tammy/Bi-Sexual Rent Boy Jon/Gay but in closeted love lorn Sandman would have been kind of hot. But then they took Jonathon from white hot street trash who looked like he would do anyone and anything, to a boring bad boy with a heart of gold who LURVED the dull and listless Tams cause she understood him yadayada. I wont even mention Lizzie and he and Jon went from a freak to some soap guy obsessed with his kid (didnt help that TP got a little uh, out of shape near the end and during his second run.)

But I DID love Jon and Dinah and them getting their freak on in Josh and Reva's bed. Thought it was hilarious that the bed of this supposed force of nature couple was defiled by those two bad eggs (I imagined Dinah wearing Reva's red dress saying "Forever Bud," right before Jon ripped the dress off.)

On ATWT turns you just know that Henry had the hots for Mike (who wouldnt ) and that Mike kind of liked it. They had a scene playing strip poker (with the obligitroy two women thrown in) that Henry was a twitter when Mike was supposed to take off his pants, and when he did he started unzipping with a grin looking right at Henry not the two poor girls. Still believe that Henry was gay, he may have married an older bitch goddess diva but because he worshiped her not loved her!

• Members

I found TSJ's Todd to be more understandable actually, it was clear he wanted or needed to be Marty's savior in order to erase the fact that he committed a horrible crime. He needed to atone by becoming the person she was most dependent on and he fell in love with her because he saw her in his mind as his salvation. I was able to get more from that then whatever beast RH's Todd was when he brutally raped her and then led to other men to rape her again, dragged her threw a trial that basically eviscerated her character and watched her get destroyed on the stand and then had the gall to say she lied and he was the victim. I'm sorry but I can't see RH's Todd as anything but disgusting for making Marty go threw that and then showing no remorse for the rape so soon after it was done. TSJ's Todd at least showed that he knew that the rape was wrong and even he felt at times like he was unworthy of her, but he still desperately needed her to forgive him for his action that he immersed himself in a dream state where he was a completely different man and he was never Todd the Rapist. He liked being a different, better person with her even if that world was a lie. I can find that more sympathetic then whatever RH's Todd was supposed to be.

Add in the context of Marty testifying for his behalf during his trial with Blair and that rape charge and I could understand how Marty/TSJ's Todd could work. I could feel sympathy for him because he wasn't rational, rather then RH's Todd's complete monster characterization.

• Members

I guess I never saw RC portraying Todd & Marty as viable--I thought it was clear that all the buildup was leading to John rescuing her, and then I was surprised because a soap heroine was actually permitted to take control of the situation (after John busted in and Marty held him and Todd at gunpoint). I thought Todd was at his best since '04 in that story because the canvas was so interconnected that summer/fall and we got to see him twistedly seek redemption through Marty (and I think that's what he fell in love with--his so-called salvation through her, not HER) while simultaneously being even more sociopathic with the Cole/Starr baby kidnapping plot (AND making a pact with Tess to save his ass). I thought it was one of the most psychologically complex stories I've ever seen on a soap and it involved even so many more characters (like John, Blair, Marcy, etc.). Back then, I thought RC had a real gift with writing very unabashedly plot-driven stories but infusing them with so much logical, profound character motivation . . . too bad his GH is a mess.

• Members

Cutter & Gigi. If she hadn't been amnesiac when they first met, I would have been all over those two being a couple (and I started out a Rex & Gigi fan, something I never really talk about here ph34r.png --in my defense, I was done after Stacy came along and Gigi met Schuyler--now THERE's a couple that should have been given more of a chance--but I digress.).

Archived