Guilty Pleasure Soap Couples

• Members

Ever had a soap couple that you knew was wrong in every way, but couldn't help but loving anyway because of the great chemistry?

For me, it was Jonathan and Tammy - GL's resident cousin-lovin' couple. I was all set to hate the very idea of half-cousins as a soap couple until those two sucked me in. (Needless to say, I left that show behind after they killed off poor Tammy)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, that depends. With some major exceptions -- Quint & Nola (GL), Greg & Jenny (AMC), etc. -- I have tended to root for couples who I didn't think were "wrong," per se, but who weren't exactly the viewers' favorites either. One example I can think of is GL's Kyle and Reva. I felt (and still feel) Larkin Malloy and Kim Zimmer were magic together; however, it seems even GL's writers at that time believed Robert Newman's Josh to be Reva's one-and-only, even if he wasn't on the show at that moment.

• Members

I'm glad you brought this up because it gives me the chance to clarify - I am not talking about about 'unpopular couples' that the majority of soap viewers hated, but soap couples that were so wrong to get together yet so right with one another.

Which reminds me of another one of my guilty pleasure soap couples - Gabi Martinez and Father Antonio Torres of Sunset Beach

Perhaps, I'm a wee bit biased, but I never understood the claim that Sandy got thrown under the bus for Tammy/Jonathan...

• Members

Definitely B&B's Brooke & Thorne. "It's... it's almost incestuous!" an incredulous Stephanie weeped.

I liked GL's Dinah (Gina Tognoni) and Jonathan when they teamed up for a brief moment. I thought the age difference was weird since I remember her being a grown woman as Wendy Moniz and then months after she left the show, in comes 8-year-old blonde prince Jonathan in San Cristobel. But with SORAS, anything's possible!

• Members

When Gregg Marx left ATWT, the show had Margo become involved with Hal Munson until they could recast Tom. When Scott Holmes got the role, it was just assumed that everybody would want Tom and Margo back together. But, for me, there was no chemistry between the two. On the other hand, Hillary B Smith and Ben Hendrickson had an easygoing rapport that made sense. HBS's Margo and Hal made a lot more sense than a forced reunion of Margo and Tom. Once Ellen Dolan became Margo, there was more chemistry between T & M, but definitely NOT in the earlier pairing.

• Members

DeeeDee hits it on the head with Pat/Delia. We were never, ever supposed to want these two together - they were codependent, she ruined his life, he was supposed to be with noble Faith. But Malcolm Groome and Ilene Kristen just made splendid acting partners, had torrid sexual chemistry, and had fascinating dynamics. They should have stayed together.

Continuing on with Ryan's Hope, I will say Jack/Siobhan (which we were supposed to see as inappropriate since he was married to her sister - never stopped the Coleridges). Sarah Felder and Michael Levin had more chemistry than any couple on the soaps today.

I also had a soft spot for Jill and that lame folk/rock singer, Ken George Jones. I thought the actors worked wonderfully together and they made me care in spite of a spring and summer of Jill saying that it was perfectly OK to cheat as long as you are staying with the person you are cheating on.

• Members

Ah. "My bad" for not understanding the original question. smile.png

Unfortunately, I cannot think offhand of one couple who fit those parameters. As I've said before, I've a tendency to root for pairings that clearly aren't endgame for anyone concerned. There was GL's Kyle and Reva, of course, and Beth and Lujack. And for characters who've had multiple high-profile pairings, such as AMC's Erica Kane, my theories on who their respective soulmates were or are (Mike Roy, followed closely by Brandon Kingsley, then Nick Davis) haven't always jibed with most everyone else's (Jackson Montgomery). But couples "who were wrong to get together, yet so right with one another"? I don't know. Maybe GL's Roger and Holly (given the fact that he raped her)?

• Members

I completely agree about Ryan's Hope Pat and Delia. I knew that the pairing ended badly, but they were so great together even if they were toxic. I always looked forward to watching their scenes when they aired on SoapNet.

Archived