Rumor: The Future Of GH

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FV was hired first and we all know he wasn't hired for his magical production style but strictly for budget reasons. He probably brought RC on. Maybe RC can write better to FVs budget model who knows. And it keeps the whiney soap press off their backs since they all kiss their asses.

• Members

Soap viewers have no power bc there aren't much left with soap viewers. If this was the 1980s... The soap viewers woul be in control, but with such a extremely small fan base, they can't do much anymore.

And Days is screwed with the lose of GH.

• Members

Also ABC is giving back the 3pm EST slot to the affiliates and 95% of those have decided to carry Katie. The 2pm EST slot is still ABC's to program. Its their choice of what goes there, not the affilaties. If the Affiliates had this much power AMC & OLTL would still be on. I cant believe people believe an opinion piece which is no longer on the site

• Members

I'm not convinced that ABC went through that much with the AMC/OLTL cancellations, other than a lot of online noise. There were barely 30 people protesting at the upfronts just weeks after the dual cancellations were announced and they only lost one relatively minor advertiser, who only stayed away for three weeks. The biggest problem ABC had was trying to sell the ill-conceived and unready Revolution.

If General Hospital were in better shape or even on an upswing, I might understand the reticence to be blamed for cancelling it but it's in a downward spiral and a lot of its own fans are sick of it in it's current state.

There are contracts with the cast and crew but not with the show. The show is wholly owned by the network, so they have no contract with it thus no contract renewal. ABC can cancel it whenever they want, given that they do it at a time when they can legally void their cast and crew contracts.

ITA.

The Macomb Daily shouldn't be dismissed completely out of hand. It's a highly reputable paper covering the Detroit metro area. WXYZ, Detroit's ABC affiliate, is a major bellweather affiliate for ABC. If things do well on WXYZ, they tend to do well nationally. I wouldn't be surprised if WXYZ is one of the few non-ABC owned & operated affiliates in on the ground floor of talks about this.

Affiliates aren't programming the 2PM slot but don't sell affiliates short, they have a HUGE say is how the networks program. If large numbers of affiliates don't like something, it doesn't last. If affiliates love something for whatever reason, it'll last longer than it might otherwise.

I'm curious why you think affiliates wouldn't cancel AMC & OLTL. The Revolution failed but The Talk is holding close to AMC numbers and gives local news more opportunities for segment tie-ins. GMAITA could give the affiliates even more opportunities to tie the mid-day lineup to their noon and 5PM newscasts. Locals love to tie their newscasts to network programming. There are few cross-promotional opportunities with soaps.

Precisely. GH won't be canceled until ABC knows how GMAITA is received. Their fear of another Revolution debacle is the only thing holding them back.

• Members

Please forgive me for my rudeness, but am I correct in assuming that you were referring to The Chew instead of The Talk? (I'm not 100% sure, which is why I am posing this question; perhaps CBS affliiates are doing tie-ins with The Talk.)

I appreciate this insight.

Archived